What is a Powwow and Why A Non-Native Should Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

In Indian country, a powwow is defined as a cultural event that features singing and dancing by men, women, and children. Cultural traditions are passed from generation to generation through these cultural gatherings. One will find that, at powwows, skilled Native American artisans travel across the country to display and sell their handcrafted goods. Powwows offer the opportunity to visit with friends and relatives, re-establish acquaintances, and sell Native American made arts and crafts, like jewelry, pottery, moccasins, clothing, beads, and paintings. Powwows are a time to preserve Native American traditions with food and through dances to the beat of the drums.

Pow Wow drummers and singers provide the music to which the dancers will dance in cultural celebration. Native Americans dances reflect tribal heritage and personal styles. The steps, the beats to which they move, and the traditional regalia (attire) embody the dancers’ tribal affiliation and ancestry.

Each powwow begins with Grand Entry. Dancers enter the dance circle by age and style of their regalia. The dancers are guided by two lead dancers, who follow the presentation of flags. Much similar to the National Anthem, the Flag Song is the Native American way of honoring traditional native, state, and American flags. The audience is expected to stand during this time, as patriotism and valor are highly respected.

Native and Non-Native people are welcome at Native American powwows. Powwows are a valuable and fascinating cultural experience for those unfamiliar with the rich traditions of Native Americans. When the “intertribal dance” is announced, all visitors of the powwow may take part in the dance circle. At a powwow, there are no spectators; everyone is considered a participant.

All are invited to attend The 46th Annual Dance for Mother Earth Powwow. The Dance for Mother Earth Powwow is hosted by the University of Michigan Native American Student Association (NASA) with assistance by Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives (OAMI) and the EMU Native American Student Organization (NASO). This year’s powwow will be held March 24-25th in Ann Arbor at the Skyline High School. Grand Entry for both Saturday and Sunday is at 12 PM and again at 7 PM on Saturday.

For More Information Visit: https://powwow.umich.edu/

Images Courtesy of: Matt Weigand and Allison Farrand of MLive and the Native American Student Association of the University of Michigan

History of Art major with a double minor in Museum Studies and Native American Studies. Looking forward to my senior year at UM and staying involved in all of my organizations.