Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What to do on V-Day if You’re in a Long-Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Valentine’s Day is approaching and that means everyone around you is either booking restaurants and planning out their date night look, or choosing which romcoms they’re going to watch with their single friends. If you don’t fall into either of these categories, you may be in a long-distance relationship and feeling completely confused as to how you’re supposed to celebrate the day of love without your special someone.  Here are some suggestions on how to make your long-distance V-Day as exciting as possible.

1.  Date Night  

If you can’t be with your S.O. this V-Day, it doesn’t completely rule out the option of going on a romantic date. Thankfully we live in a world of technology that can connect us to anyone at anytime, anywhere. You can still get dressed up, put makeup on, and do your hair for your long distance S.O. — just think “Zoey 101” style. In this classic 2000’s show, Zoey and Chase were in a long-distance relationship, so they video chatted each other while they both ate dinner. Even though the couple struggled with the connection of their web cams, there is no need to worry, because technology is a lot better now and it will help give you the flawless night you are hoping for. V-Day is the perfect day to FaceTime or Skype your special someone to have a virtual date. Even though it won’t feel the same as going on a real date together, you can still get dressed up and order your fave takeout to create the atmosphere of your ideal long-distance date.

2.  Movie Night

If you and your S.O. are movie addicts, this is the perfect holiday to bond over cringe worthy romcoms. You can both pick a movie through Amazon or Netflix and start it at the same time. While you watch, you can share your thoughts about all of the funny moments in the movie by texting, calling, or video chatting throughout the duration of the film. Even though you won’t be in the same physical space as your S.O., you can still make it feel like they are watching with you!

3.  Mail a Care Package

Another way to show your long-distance S.O. some love this holiday is to mail them a care package with some of their fave snacks and cute notes. This can go any direction you want and can be super personalized if you put the effort in. They will definitely appreciate munching on their ideal treats while thinking of you on this holiday!

4.  Letters

If you want to be super romantic this V-Day, mail your S.O. a bunch of letters to open at different times. Inside, the letters can be labeled “when you miss me,” “when you need a good laugh,” etc. You can write about some of your favorite memories that you’ve had together or you could talk about all the things you’re looking forward to doing with them in the future. You can also write jokes, riddles or even put pictures and drawings in the letters. The options are endless! Be creative with this idea and put a smile on your S.O.’s face this V-Day.

5.  Postpone V-Day

Just because it feels like everyone else is celebrating V-Day on February 14, it doesn’t mean that you also have to! You can plan a romantic V-Day date for the next time you see your S.O. This will give you something to look forward to so that you don’t feel completely alone on V-Day.

No matter what you choose to do with your long-distance S.O., don’t forget to take the time to tell them how much they mean to you. Since distance can be one of the hardest aspects in a relationship, it’s important to tell them that they are worth it, and there’s no better day to tell them than on the day of love!

Alexa Di Luca is transfer student at the University of Michigan, studying communications.