Turn It Up: DJ Megan’s Top Spins

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I’m not the kind of person to listen to a full album, but these albums are truly amazing. I like to think I have fairly diverse music taste, but the albums I chose definitely lean toward pop and R&B, so if you aren’t a fan of those genres you might be a little disappointed. However, I believe these albums have no skips and deserve a listen even if you aren’t typically a fan of the artist or genre! So, in no particular order, these are my top album recommendations.

#1 Sweetener by Ariana Grande

Ariana Grande might be my favorite artist of all time, and Sweetener just might be her best album (eternal sunshine is close to overtaking it, though). It is a classic pop album with many of its songs produced by Pharrell Williams (he is a great producer). Every song is an immediate classic with hits like God is a woman and no tears left to cry. I would say the most underrated song on the album is everytime which has become more popular on TikTok since the album’s release. The whole album feels like a cloud, it’s light and her vocals are angelic.

#2 The Slow Rush by Tame Impala

When it comes to Tame Impala, many people immediately bring up Currents, but The Slow Rush might be better. It came out in 2020 which I think really hindered its performance, but it has so many great songs such as Breathe Deeper, Posthumous Forgiveness, and Lost in Yesterday, my personal favorite. The album falls more into an Alternative/Indie genre, which is typical for Tame Impala. It is great to listen to when you want to relax and just vibe.

#3 Renaissance by Beyonce

Every Beyonce album is a hit, but I think Renaissance is her most fun album. It is described as R&B, house, and dance/electronic music, so it really encapsulates a lot of genres. Every time I listen to one song off Renaissance I have to go and listen to the rest of the album because it is that good! CHURCH GIRL might be my favorite off the album, but that is a really hard choice to make. If you do give Renaissance a listen though, I highly recommend listening to the Kendrick Lamar remix of AMERICA’S GOT A PROBLEM because it is better than the original.

#4 IGOR by Tyler, the Creator

This is hands down the best Tyler album, so the Grammy was well deserved. Every song is so good, and it finishes off with my all-time favorite Tyler song, Are we still friends?. The album falls under the rap category but I think it leans more into R&B and hip-hop. It is a great album to just chill to, and I listen to it with friends or when doing homework.

#5 “Awaken, My Love!” by Childish Gambino

I almost have no words for this album. Childish Gambino is a genius and has immense talent. Just the first three songs are enough to put it on a list of the best albums ever. Me and Your Mama and Redbone are probably the most famous songs to come off the album and are pretty well-known for a good reason. If you do happen to know those songs, the rest of the album tends to keep the same vibe and it is a really fun listen!

#6 Melodrama by Lorde

I never understood the hype around Lorde until I finally listened to Supercut off this album. It inspired me to listen to the whole album and Lorde in general. Melodrama is one of the most pop albums I’ve ever heard. When I think of pop as a genre, this album comes to mind. It is relatable and easy to listen to at any time. If you are unsure about listening, please just give a listen to Supercut and Green Light. I promise you will not be disappointed!

#7 Planet Her by Doja Cat

I feel like everyone has heard at least one song off this album. It had massive success on TikTok and on the charts in general. I feel like Need to Know, Woman, and Kiss Me More received the most success, but this album did not miss on one song. Doja Cat made hit after hit. One super underrated song on the album, though, is I Don’t Do Drugs featuring Ariana Grande. I’ve already mentioned how much I love her, and she and Doja Cat are so good together. I’m sure you already know many songs off this album so why not listen to the rest of them!

I hope you enjoyed this list and found a new album that you can enjoy, or at least a new song!

Studying political science as a freshman at the University of Michigan. Passionate about running, baking, reading murder mysteries, and fashion.