Top Five Shows to Binge-Watch Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Winter break is a glorious time filled with long days of relaxing, hanging out with your dogs, and generally just not doing anything productive. It’s also a great time to catch up on all those shows that have been on your list of “things to watch” for months now. Here are five we think should be at the top of your list.

1. This Is Us—currently airing on NBC

There’s a reason this show has everyone, including critics, buzzing. It’s all about the connections between members of a family, and takes place in two time periods. Warning—many of the episodes end on a cliffhanger so be prepared to get sucked in quickly! All the episodes are currently available on NBC’s website.

2. Veep—HBO

This is one that I just binged over Thanksgiving, and I can’t recommend it enough. It stars Julia-Louis Dreyfous as the “Veep”—literally the vice president of the United States. The ensemble cast is hilarious, and the humor is perfectly sarcastic. You can watch all of the episodes on HBOGo, and with only ten half hour episodes per season over five seasons, this one goes by fast.

3. Old seasons of reality shows—Survivor, Big Brother, Amazing Race

Not sure why this is so entertaining, but it is so fun to go back and watch super old episodes of shows like Survivor and Big Brother. If you haven’t seen all the old episodes, I highly recommend going back to watch some legendary players play or win their respective shows. These can be hard to find, but good places to start are the network websites, YouTube, or DVDs from your local library!

4. Gossip Girl/One Tree Hill/Friday Night Lights—all available on Netflix

All classics, and if you haven’t seen them yet, they make for good mindless entertainment. All start out with the cast in high school, and all pack great drama into each 40-ish minute episode!

5. Breaking Bad—available on Netflix

This one is a classic, and is next on my own list to watch. I’ll probably tackle it over Christmas break, and I suggest you do too! Critically acclaimed, the show centers around a science teacher turned meth dealer after he is diagnosed with cancer. You’ve probably heard your family and friends talking about this for years, and it’s finally time to know what they’re talking about!

Images courtesy of NBC, AMC.