Tips for Getting Involved on Campus During an Online Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

As the first few weeks of the semester come to a close, the time to get involved in organizations on campus has arrived. In a mainly online semester, classes are not the only thing that had to adapt — clubs and student orgs look slightly different than past fall semesters. As a freshman who had no idea what I wanted to study or even what I was interested in, I felt overwhelmed by choice with all of the spaces for involvement on campus, and had no idea where to find a community. Here are my personal tips for finding the right communities for you on campus.

1. Do what you’re interested in

First, determine what interests you have that you’d want to spend more time doing. Try to find a space that allows you to explore your hobbies and passions. Having a true passion for the clubs you apply to will not only allow you to expand your knowledge and experience in your interests, but it will make the application and interview processes much easier. For me, this meant getting involved with Go Blue Wear Pink last Fall – an amazing student-run organization that raises money for breast cancer research through the Michigan Rogel Cancer center. Finding organizations surrounding your passions will still give you the resume boost and life skills you need, plus you’ll be completely invested in what you’re doing!

2. Use online tools to your advantage

Maizepaiges (www.maizepages.com) is a great resource for finding organizations to get involved in. Though the site can be overwhelming at times since it is a log of every student organization and club on campus, it is the best way to find groups that match your specific interests. Use the filters to narrow down your options to relevant selections and get in contact with whoever is listed on the organization’s page. Additionally, once you find a club you’re interested in, you can look them up on social media and their website to gain more understanding of their goals.

Her Campus Media

3. Be genuine in your application

This is basic advice, but sometimes we all need a refresher: in  order to really nail your interview, you have to show your truest self.  Don’t exaggerate the truth on your resume or lie about your intentions with an organization. People see right through that, and in the end it will only hurt you.

4. Build connections through shared interests

Arguably the best thing about getting involved in extracurricular communities is the opportunity to form connections with the people you meet. Countless pieces of advice I have received and other forms of life guidance have come from a community established through clubs — especially from older peers in my major.  Even if organizations seem intimidating or too exclusive for you, you have to put yourself out there. Some of my closest friends came from applying to and joining various clubs, and without trying you’re only limiting yourself. Especially with classes being online this fall, it is critical to find new spaces to meet people and productive ways to spend your time. With the right tools, it is easy to find your place of involvement on campus.

Kate Gould

U Mich '23

Hi y'all! I'm currently a freshman at Michigan from Dallas, Texas. I'm always down to discuss the Bachelor and get coffee (regardless of the time.) I am passionate about environmental justice, love volunteering at a local Pre-school, and am planning to minor in food sustainability. Besides Her Campus, I am involved with Go Blue Wear Pink and am a University Student Ambassador.