Thanksgiving and Finals Season, more like SHADEsgiving and Finals TEAson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Throwing shade, spilling the tea, whatever you call it: the holiday season is starting off with a lot of it. And don’t worry, I’m not talking about your unfiltered great aunt’s once-removed cousin that no one invited but shows up every year to ask you inappropriate questions and profess her political views. While you were at home, busy eating mashed potatoes with gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potato, bread rolls, mac and cheese, green bean casserole (eew!), apple pie, pumpkin pie, and barely any turkey, you may have missed the sweet, sweet taste of celebrity drama. Lucky for you, I’m about to pass you a biiig scoop. You’re a little late to the party, but it’s fine. Drama is a dish best served cold, anyway.

Giphy

America’s Got Talent or America Now Lacks Talent? Gabrielle Union is a great actress, dedicated to the causes she believes are worthwhile, and most importantly, isn’t afraid to raise her voice. Recently, renewal contracts for judges on America’s Got Talent were issued, and Gabrielle didn’t make the cut. NBC did not make it clear why Union was fired, but she has a few ideas. During her season working on the show, Gabrielle used her powerful position to address and attempt to change the culture of racism, discrimination, and misogyny she and fellow show regulars experienced. Her higher-ups did nothing, but Union was determined not to let the Think Like a Man attitude of the show dissuade her so she repeatedly called out the comments. We love a queen who stands up for herself and what she believes in! She’s All That and NBC made a huuuuuge mistake ignoring and firing her. And Twitter evidently feels the same; the clap back from Dwayne Wade, Ellen Pompeo, fans and basically all of Twitter deliver the message to NBC loud and clear. Shots were fired by her husband as he penned, “Men lie, Women lie, numbers don’t.” Anyone who knows Gabrielle Union was ready to Bring It On and bring it, they did. 

Gif credit: Giphy

The world wasn’t … Ready For It as they watched Gorgeous and Fearless Taylor Swift grace the stage and make a statement at the American Music Awards in her unique Style. Decked in a white polo shirt covered with the names of her six albums being held under Scooter Braun’s tyrannical control, she delivered many swipes at the music boss throughout the night. Swift started her AMA performance with one of her most significant messages of the night: I’m done with the “Man.” Highlights of Taylor’s triumphant return to the stage include the young, all-girl dancing crew, her friends who stood and sang by her side, and her heartfelt piano medley. She didn’t have to sing each of these hits to make her message at the AMA’s crystal clear: Scooter, “You Need to Calm Down.” Big Machine Records, “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.” And best of all, you know who knows how to “Shake It Off”? “ME!”

Gif credit: Giphy

What a year Hannah Brown has had! In 2019, Bachelorette Alabama Hannah escapade-d in a Greek windmill, became (now, happily!) unengaged, danced her way to a coveted Dancing with The Stars mirror ball, won a People’s Choice Award, and shaded her country singing ex-fiancé. At. The. Largest. Event. For. Country. Music. All. Year. Yes, you read that right. The words “I do love country music. And a real musician” were energetically uttered from Hannah Brown’s mouth during an interview. Are we mad? No. Is Jed mad? Probably. 

Gif credit: Giphy

Remind me to never forget to invite Ellen to my birthday party or to mess with Dakota Johnson. Melanie Griffith’s daughter doesn’t just serve looks and have impressive acting chops, she is proficient in the art of the comeback. Last year, America’s favorite host made Dakota turn 50 Shades of Red when DeGeneres asked why she wasn’t invited to Johnson’s birthday party. This time around, the coffee tables turned. As the talk show host questioned where her invitation to this year’s 30th bash was, Dakota was smug as she gave the perfect response: “But, I did invite you, and you didn’t come.” Mrs. Grey went OFF. And poor Ellen was flustered to say the least. Even better, Twitter found that Ellen missed the celebration for the Cowboys game with former President George Bush. 50 states over 50 shades? Yikes. Has America’s talk show queen started to fall off her plush, white throne? Only time and, maybe, Dakota Johnson will tell. 

If you haven’t seen the interview, it’s a must watch. Check it out HERE.

Header image credit: Refinery29

Elizabeth is a sophomore at the University of Michigan, hoping to major in marketing and minor in business. This is her second year writing for HerCampus and her first as an editor. Along with HerCampus, she is an account director for Michigan Advertising and Marketing, a productions staffer for WOLVTV, a fundraiser/dancer for Dance Marathon, and a marketing and partnerships intern for the UMich Athletic Program. She is passionate about writing/editing, travel, entertainment, food, sports, the outdoors, music, and fitness.
I'm Melanie Stamelman, a junior at the University of Michigan. I am the Campus Correspondent of UMich's chapter of Her Campus and am incredibly passionate about lifestyle journalism.  I follow the news and lifestyle trends, and am a self-proclaimed Whole Foods, spin obsessed wacko.  Thanks for reading xoxo.