Michigan football stadium
Michigan football stadium
Original photo by Madelyn Probst

Tackling Michigan: Kris Jenkins’ Football Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Brooke Woodrum, Feature Writer for Her Campus at the University of Michigan, met with Michigan Football Defensive Tackle, Kris Jenkins (LSA, Class of 2024, Communications) on Thursday, October 13th, 2022, for an exclusive interview on his experience playing football at the University of Michigan. 

Brooke Woodrum: Hi, Kris. Do you mind telling me a little about your life growing up and where you are from?

Kris Jenkins: I grew up in Maryland, but I did a bit of moving around following my dad who played in the NFL. We moved to North Carolina when my dad played for the Panthers, then to New Jersey when he played for the Jets. Eventually, we moved back to Maryland, and now I am here in Michigan for school! My dad and uncle actually both played in the NFL, so I have always loved watching and supporting them both. 

BW: Do you have any favorite hobbies outside of football?

KJ: Obviously I love all sports, but outside of that, I like to play video games, cook, and travel. My favorite place I have traveled would either be the Bahamas or Hawaii, and I went there back when Atlantis was popular, so that was really cool to experience.

BW: How did you first become interested in playing football? What was playing like when you were a kid?

KJ: I definitely got my interest in football from watching my dad and uncle play. I loved getting to go to their games growing up, and so eventually, my dad started signing me up for football events. At first when I was younger, I didn’t initially enjoy taking contact, but I got used to it as I grew older, and eventually developed a love for the sport. 

BW: Who inspired you to play football?

KJ: My dad was the biggest person that inspired me to start playing, I really enjoyed watching him play when I was a kid, and he gave me a lot of support starting out. My uncle definitely played a role as well, I loved getting to go watch him play too. I have also had such great coaches throughout my time playing. They have all helped my game and helped me grow through the whole process, encouraging me to keep at it all of this time. 

BW: How did you decide to play football at Michigan?

KJ: I didn’t know too much about Michigan football before coming here for an official visit; I never watched Michigan football growing up or anything. However, when I came here, I immediately fell in love with the environment, the coaching staff, and all of the people here. I really liked how seriously the school treated both athletics and academics. The second I stepped foot on campus, I knew this was home. 

BW: What do you like about playing football specifically at Michigan?

KJ: Of course, the coaching staff and players are amazing. We have built such a great culture around the football program that is great to be a part of. Outside of that, though, I love the atmosphere. The fans bring so much electricity to every home, and even every away game too. There is love for Michigan wherever you go, which is so cool to see. 

BW: What is your favorite Michigan football memory so far?

KJ: It would definitely have to be the Ohio State game or Big Ten Championship last year. Both of those games were absolutely unreal, it all felt like a movie. There was so much energy going into both of those games, you could feel how crazy they were both about to be before they even began. I loved playing on the field for those games and feeling all of the energy, they were truly the craziest experiences. 

BW: With the Michigan State game coming up, what does this rivalry mean to you & the team? Do rivalry games feel different? 

KJ: We have created such a rich football culture here that we all honor, so we treat every game and every team with the same level of respect. Every game is important. That being said, a rivalry game, whether it be Penn State, Michigan State, Ohio State, or whoever, is that much more important to us. We definitely have a different level of focus and intensity going into those weeks, so for the upcoming Michigan State game, we are definitely all in. 

BW: What is next for you in the future, football-related, or otherwise?

KJ: For football, I hope to get to the next level. Ideally, I would love to have a long-sustaining career in the NFL, but afterwards, I would love to be able to talk about and experience the game as much as possible. Whether that be coaching, or something else, I want to stay as close to the game as I can. I have really fallen in love with football, and I never want to let it go. 

Her Campus at the University of Michigan would like to wish Kris, and all of Michigan Football, the best of luck with the rest of the season. Go Blue!

-Brooke Woodrum

Aspiring sport psychologist studying Psychology as a junior at the University of Michigan. Avid dog-lover, foodie, Spotify playlist creator, and UMich/Detroit sports fan.