Surviving the War of Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

It’s always a struggle facing the coldest of cold after a nice, long winter break. Tans quickly fade, tank tops become sweaters and the day turns to night earlier than your grandma eats dinner. I honestly don’t know what’s harder: starting to get into the swing of things after three weeks of doing absolutely nothing or actually keeping those New Years Resolutions. Whether it’s going to class, to the library or going out at night, these past few weeks have been a struggle. Sometimes I feel as if I’m legitimately glued to my bed. So, as pages of readings pile up and my fingers turn purpler and purpler, I have come up with a few ways to kick winter’s a$$ once and for all.

Class and the Daily Struggles of Education:

–Set your alarm an extra 15 minutes earlier than normal: This way you’ll get to snooze and not feel guilty about it or rushed for time.

–Take the bus: Nothing more needs to be said. Download the umich app, look at the bus schedule and hop on those heated babies. Just do it. So what if you feel like a freshman commuting to North Campus? At least you’re warm and your teeth aren’t chattering.

–Do your homework early in the day: That way, when you finally crawl into bed for nap time or to catch up on the latest episode of Revenge, you won’t feel pressure to leave or switch back into gears. Your work will be done and your brain can stay asleep.

–Layer, layer, layer: Invest in a pair of these puppies: http://www.rei.com/product/794454/rei-oxt-airflyte-running-tights-womens-petite. You will never want to take them off and unlike thin, see-through leggings, they make your legs look muscular. Two benefits every gal needs: warmth and aesthetics.

–Blow dry your hair: After you shower, blow dry your hair. It’s the fastest way to feel warm and also helps you easily style your hair.

LAST BUT DEFINITELY NOT LEAST…if this is the only tip you pick up on:

–Avoid curling up in bed during the daytime: Much easier said than done, I know, I know. But, do this and you’re golden.

Getting the Motivation to Rage like it’s Football Saturday Again:

–Remember that bars have coat checks: I know it is sometimes hard to be “that girl who is wearing a jacket,” but while your friends are freezing to death on the Skeeps line, you’ll be nice and toasty in your jacket.

-Speaking of bars, GET STAMPED EARLY!!!!: A little lesson I’ve learned that are the wisest words to live by. Go to the bar when they open, usually at ten, get stamped, do a quick lap, then leave. Go elsewhere, whether it be a pregame, house party or even home to finish your make-up until it is socially acceptable to be at the bars…you know after the locals leave and have finished eating their dinners.

–Workout for a pick me up: If you are feeling really lazy, do a quick workout. This will release endorphins that will give you the energy and a pep in your step to get yourself dressed and ready to roll.

–Eat dinner late, get dressed early: This leaves no downtime to avoid going out. We all know, once you are dressed, you are going out!

So, people, I know it’s hard, basically impossible to get back into the groove of things when your phone reads 15 degrees and you have a 9 am across campus. But, do what you gotta do, because in the long run you will be much happier and you won’t find yourself facing a week of midterms with absolutely no idea of what your Comm 211 class is about, or even the fact that you need an iClicker for the lecture.