The Sunday Scaries and How to Avoid Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

There comes a point each week, same time same feeling, slowly approaching, yet when it hits, the sensation cannot be escaped. The tortuous state I am referring to is known as the “Sunday scaries.” The Sunday scaries is a feeling one gets following the weekend that consists of anxiety and nervousness thinking about homework or the long week of work that lies ahead. The Sunday scaries usually begin around the time of middle school, when homework becomes more than coloring in the lines and impossible tests and quizzes become normal. The Sunday scaries are not something you grow out of, for these scaries follow you from primary school, to college, and your career. Although this feeling is inevitable, there are ways to lessen the feeling. If you would like to reduce your Sunday scaries here are some tips:

1. Enjoy the weekdays

Part of the reason Sundays are so scary is because usually, the weekend is so eventful and enjoyable, that waking up on Sunday to a pile of homework and obligations can cause tremendous stress. Throughout the week, to make Sundays more bearable, take time Monday-Friday to do things you enjoy. For example, maybe a nice meal or dessert or an exercise class that isn’t too painful. This way, on Sunday, when you think of the week ahead, there won’t be as much cringing if you know the week could have something worthwhile.

1. Be productive on Sunday during the day

There is no better feeling than going to bed at night feeling accomplished and productive. It is easy to lose track of this motivation on Sundays and only open your backpack or work bag at night, when the scaries have already kicked in. By making the most of your day on Sunday, you will alleviate the Sunday stress and make you feel better about starting Monday, knowing that you’ve already begun some work for the week ahead.

1. Do something on Saturdays

I know, you probably read this thinking, Saturday? Work? This may seem crazy; however, that little bit of work on a Saturday goes a long way, especially on a Sunday when you’re too tired to do work. It may seem impossible to consider touching your backpack before absolutely necessary on the weekend, but if you are not busy and not tailgating on a Saturday morning-give it a try!

1. Get a good night of sleep on Sunday

It is easy to toss and turn when you are nervous about something. So many times on Sundays I have let my anxiety make me toss and turn until the clock read a number low enough I could count it on one hand. Letting the Sunday scaries keep you from sleeping will only lead to a Monday meltdown. To ensure that you start the week right it is important to prioritize sleep, even if this means cutting your work short. A good night’s sleep will help prepare you for the week and keep you ready for the work that lies ahead on Monday. This may mean you have to stop refreshing your Instagram feed, or close your computer after one too many episodes of Netflix. But the Sunday scaries will turn into a reality of a scary week if you do not get a good night’s sleep.

1. Enjoy your Sundays

It is easy to wake up on a Sunday after the previous Friday and Saturday and dread the day ahead. However, it is beneficial to change this outlook and appreciate some of the good things Sunday has to offer. Although it is often filled with homework, try to spend some of it doing something enjoyable to get your mind off of homework and the rest of your week. This way, when you think of Sundays, you won’t feel as scared for the day after Saturday.

Images courtesy of: www.cdn.business2community.com

Julia Maxman is a Freshman at the University of Michigan from New Jersey. GO BLUE!
Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!