This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Although it may be a little (or a LOT) of wishful thinking to be writing about spring fashion in the state of Michigan right now, I’m know I’m not alone in thinking about the trends way ahead of time. Sick of looking at heavy coats, boots, and sweaters in darker tones, we’re starting to see all of the fresh, light, bright colors of spring taking over stores and possibly our wardrobes. Light denim is everywhere and I’ve got some great denim DIYs that you can use to transition from winter into spring on campus and then from spring into summer. Even though you might look out your window and see snow right now, use these projects as a reminder that there is hope for warmer weather around the corner (how far around the corner, not even the groundhog can be sure).

1. Ombré Denim Jacket

-For this DIY you will need a spray bottle, cleaning gloves, household bleach, studs, and a thrift shop denim jacket (mine was $7).

-Wear your cleaning gloves throughout to avoid skin irritation.

-You can choose to make the top portion of the jacket lighter or the bottom. First, pour some of your bleach into a bucket and add a little water. I would say maybe 1 part bleach to 1 part water (obviously adjust if you need). Then, soak whichever part you want to be lighter in the bucket. Since I did the top half, I also soaked my sleeves to make them lighter, but get creative! Keep checking in on it every fifteen minutes or so. The time it will take all depends on the fabric and color of the jacket. When you’ve achieved the lightness that you want, you can take the jacket out and rinse it off in cold water. Next, I layed my jacket out on scrap cardboard and filled the spray bottle with the same bleach solution. I sprayed along the part where the dark transitions to light in order to get a more gradual fade. Use a lot of the bleach right where the two meet, and slowly work your way up or down, using less and less spray. Flip over and repeat on the opposite side. Let that develop and reapply if needed. When you’re happy with how your denim looks, rinse it out once more with cold water, throw it in the washer on the cold water setting with a little detergent, and give it a good wash. Then, add studs wherever you like. I just put a few on each peak of the collar.

-This is a great piece to wear when you want to start dressing a little more like spring, but when it’s still cold outside. You can put a bright hoodie underneath, and call it good. Then, when it gets warmer out, just take it with you to layer over tank tops at night.

2. Lacie Ombré High-Waisted Shorts

-For this DIY you will need a spray bottle, cleaning gloves, household bleach, lace trim, a glue gun, and thrift shop denim jeans (Mine were $6).

-Put your jeans on and draw a line where you want them to hit you once you cut them into shorts. I recommend starting a little higher up (so shorter) on the outer side where it will hit your hips, and cutting at a bit of a downward angle towards your inner thighs. This is a little more flattering. Also mark where you want them to hit in the back. For this, I’d recommend going a little lower (longer) in the back than in the front. Take off your jeans, lay them out, and cut where you marked, making sure to only cut one layer (front or back) at a time. Once you’re finished, try them on and make any adjustments that you need. It’s obviously better to start long and cut shorter than cut too short right away. Next, I used a fork to pull out some of the threads along the seam, just scraping the edge with the prongs. Then, follow the same technique as above to ombré your denim shorts. Again, they might take more or less time depending on the color and exact material. Once they’re washed you’re ready to add lace! I decided to put lace on the insides of both front and back pockets. Lay out your lace along the opening of the pocket you want to trim. Cut your strip and get your glue gun ready. You’re going to be gluing the strip to the back of the pocket, or the pocket lining (so if you had your hands in your pockets, you wouldn’t be able to see it). Just do an inch or so at a time, dotting hot glue along the pocket liner and pressing the lace into it, being careful not to glue the pocket shut. Use the edge of the pocket as a guide. Repeat this process for each pocket. Then, add studs if you want nd your shorts are ready to go!

-These shorts will be great in late spring, early summer when it’s beach time. Perfect over a bikini or with a crop top and sandals.

Variations: Add jewels to the pockets instead of lace using hot glue. Destroy the denim with scissors and more of the fork technique to expose the threads. Line the bottom of the shorts with lace instead of the pockets. Use a lace fabric to cover an entire back pocket with lace. Use spray fabric glitter to add some sparkle all over or on pockets. Cover one of the front or back pockets with studs. Get creative with some paint on the back pockets (I’m thinking American flag for Fourth of July…WAY ahead of time). There are unlimited possibilities, so get busy!