Spend Your Next Fall Break In Beautiful Northern Michigan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Fall is arguably the best times to go out exploring new places; the weather is (usually) still nice but not too hot, the leaves are changing colors, and many popular tourist destinations are less busy than they are during the summertime.  Leelanau County is known for its beautiful scenery and various fun fall activities, and it’s only about 4 hours north of Ann Arbor!  Next fall break, take a road trip up north with some friends to spend a relaxing weekend enjoying everything Northern Michigan has to offer.  Here are six activities you definitely should check out while you’re there.

Bike the Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail

The Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail runs 20 miles from the small town of Empire to Bohemian Beach and is a great way to enjoy the fall colors and spend time outdoors.  The trail is mostly paved and relatively flat for a relaxing ride, and you’ll get a glimpse of the many historic farms of Port Oneida, as well as protected wetlands, and rolling fields.  Start at Bohemian Beach and stop in Glen Arbor to grab a bite to eat at Art’s Tavern, or take a look at the variety of unique shops before biking back.

Hike Empire Bluffs

To find one of the most beautiful views over Lake Michigan, head to Empire to hike the Empire Bluffs Trail.  This trail winds through the woods before opening up to steep sand bluffs overlooking Lake Michigan and the lakeshore. You can climb further up the bluffs or stay on the wooden boardwalk, but either way you’ll get an amazing view of crystal blue water alongside vibrant fall colors.

Shop & Eat in Traverse City… 

If the cold weather is keeping you indoors, head to Traverse City to spend the day shopping and eating.  Find fresh local produce and gifts at the farmers market every Wednesday and Saturday. Make sure to check out the M22 store for t-shirts and stickers to commemorate your visit.  TC has a huge range of delicious restaurants, many of which are my personal favorites.  If you’re a sushi lover like I am, make a reservation at Red Ginger. Head to the Little Fleet for an assortment of food trucks and great drinks, as well as live music, depending on the night.

Mount Pleasant Farmers Market
Original photo by Sophia Thomas

…Or in Sutton’s Bay

Sutton’s Bay is only 15 minutes away from Traverse City and has more of a small town vibe.  Art enthusiasts should visit the Michigan Artist’s Gallery, and science nerds should definitely take a look at Enerdyne.  There are plenty of unique clothing and gift boutiques, as well as many great restaurants.  If you’re in the mood for Chinese or Thai food, have dinner at Hang On.  Streetside Grille is the place to go for some of the best fries around, and I’d highly recommend the pesto chicken flatbread.  After dinner head to Scoops 22 for some delicious Moomers ice cream.

Fall Activities at Gallagher’s Farm Market

Gallagher’s Farm Market, located a few miles outside of Traverse City, is the perfect place to spend a sunny fall day.  Grab some fresh, warm apple cider and doughnuts, visit with the farm animals, and pick the perfect pumpkin to bring home and carve. The farm also offers a variety of local produce and baked goods, and there’s even a corn maze across the street at Jacob’s Farm.

Climb the Sleeping Bear Dunes

Of course, no trip to Northern Michigan is complete without stopping at its most famous site, the Sleeping Bear Dunes.  The huge sand dunes not only provide a great workout, but also allow for a spectacular view of Lake Michigan on one side and of Little and Big Glen Lake on the other.  This view is even more unique when the leaves begin to change.  There are also several smaller trails to explore once you reach the top, and if you’re feeling adventurous you can even walk all the way to the shoreline of Lake Michigan

Picture of a swamp and forest
Original photo by Enisa Borova
Jayden is a junior studying English at the University of Michigan. In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, hiking, and traveling.