Skip the Sniffles—4 Tips To Avoid Getting Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Fall is officially here, and that means two things: the leaves are changing colors, and it’s the start of the cold and flu season. With cold weather and the stress of the new school year, people are starting to get sick. So take precautions now, and follow these 4 tips to avoid feeling under the weather.

Drink water—it’s important to stay hydrated. Even though this may sound like a simple solution, it is crucial for strong immune system. As the temperature drops, our bodies get dehydrated. This strains our bodies and the immunity barriers that prevent infection. So drink plenty of water each day to keep your defenses up! Most health professionals recommend drinking 8-oz of water, 8 times a day. Though this is a good rule of thumb to follow, it’s now suggested that women drink 9, and men drink 13, 8-oz glasses of water each day. Buy a cool reusable water bottle like a Nalgene or a Camelback to make it more exciting.

Avoid sugar—this tip may be difficult to follow, especially if you have a sweet tooth like me. But refined sugars impair the function of white blood cells in our bodies. So this means that they weaken the immune system, and make it easier to get sick. So if possible, avoid eating foods and drinks made with refined sugars—that means cookies, cake, orange juice, and candy.

Hands off— As much as possible, avoid touching your face. It’s such a common habit so it’s easy to overlook. However, your face is vulnerable when it comes to germs, and hands source plenty of them.  The easiest way to transmit illness is through mucous membranes—aka eyes, mouth, and nose. So keep your hands away!

Purell—Buy it. Keep it around. Use it.