The Seven Best Coffee Shops in AA to Visit on a Snowy Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

To put it simply, I am a coffee fanatic.

Just like all coffee lovers, I am always looking for the best coffee I can find near me. So, I’ve compiled a list of some of the best coffee shops in the Ann Arbor area. I must admit that I have not been to a few of them, but I plan to go soon! Hope this helps coffee lovers find their favorite hub!

Drip House

When I discovered Drip House at the beginning of freshman year, it was an automatic connection. Although it is a bit secluded from Central Campus, it is a nice walk past the Big House (go blue!). They have even adapted to the snowy weather and have mini igloos outside so customers can be warm and COVID safe. Their menu is trendy with lattes galore. My personal favorite is the Caramel Iced Latte, but some honorable mentions are their Matcha Latte, Vanilla Latte, and Lavender Latte

Vertex Coffee Roasters

Vertex is the place to go for the REAL coffee lovers. I would recommend their cold brew, but now that is freezing in Ann Arbor, I’m sure their hot coffee will do the trick. Located right on South University, Vertex is the perfect place to get your strong caffeine fix before a big study session.

Sweetwaters

Sweetwaters is basically the Starbucks of UMich. Find convenient locations at the Michigan Union, on East Liberty St. and several other places in Ann Arbor. With classics like the Dreamy Latte and seasonal favorites like the Great Pumpkin Latte, students will never run out of delicious coffee options at their disposal.

Lab Cafe

With a Brown Sugar Maple Latte and a Cinnamon Latte, Lab Cafe is the place to go for the cool and niche drinks that you would find on Pinterest and Instagram. It reminds me of cool cafes in New York City! I think it is definitely a great spot to check out in Ann Arbor as it is located right in the heart of the central campus on East Liberty St.

Comet Coffee

Comet Coffee offers a variety of hand-brewed coffee and espresso. I have not had a chance to try it yet, but I have heard it a favorite amongst students on campus and a must try. 

RoosRoast Coffee

I may have never been here, but through my research, I was immediately drawn in by their coffee blend names. My favorites would have to be the “Badass Women Blend” and the “Rich French Neighbor” roast.

Zingerman’s Coffee Company

If the legendary Zingerman’s has a coffee company, it MUST be good. I have not had their coffee, but I can only imagine that with their record, it should be quite delicious.

Emily Vanek

U Mich '24

Emily is a freshman at the University of Michigan. In high school, she was the Editor-in-Chief of her school paper. She enjoys writing opinion and spotlight pieces most. Besides writing, Emily likes to play Tennis, engage in food tourism, and binge-watch television. She hopes to major in Political Science and minor in Business on a pre-law track.