Senior Year is Next Year… Now What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

As the credits pile up and the semesters zoom by, we find ourselves inching closer to “the real world.” First you’re a freshman, amazed by the huge football stadium you get to call home on Saturday afternoons, then overwhelmed by the college coursework that’s much harder than high school. Next, you’re a sophomore who kind of has it figured out, only to feel lost again, searching for the “self” you’re supposed to find in college, also hoping to possibly land your first internship in the summer. Then you’re a junior. You’re beginning upper level classes in your major, calculating how you can finish the language and distribution requirements before graduation and trying to figure out what the hell you’re doing in the summer because you know everyone’s going to ask — and you better have an answer. I mean, you go to Michigan.

To all my juniors in this boat, you’re not alone. The future is coming, at what feels like full speed ahead, but you’re not alone. You might be in panic mode right now (holla at midterm season), or perhaps your vision is just set on making it to spring break, but I want to give you some things to think about for the next year and a half (without sounding like your relatives who beg for details about life when you’ve honestly just been binge-watching Netflix on Friday nights).

1. Stop Comparing

You’re almost a rising senior and although it’s satisfying to hear, it’s also somewhat terrifying. Should I have an internship this summer? Should I be studying abroad next semester? When should I start planning senior spring break? Should I even go on senior spring break? What am I going to do after graduation? Grad school or nah?

Maybe it isn’t a bad idea to let these questions occupy some space in your head, but I think it’s important to limit how much space. When we are going through things we’ve never been through, it’s natural to look to those around us for hints and ideas on what to do. It’s easy to look at what other people are doing and who’s getting internships, only to look back on yourself and be disappointed.

Stop.

I don’t care if that person is in the same major or career path as you. Stop comparing yourself to them. Everyone reaches goals in different ways; everyone takes different paths. You should fight for the opportunities and experiences you want but don’t let your self-comparison with others hinder this journey — because it will if you let it. Work hard for you. If you’re unsure of if you’re headed down the right path, ask. But stop comparing.

2. Get it together… but not too together

As you get closer to graduation, the lines of what being an “adult” means can be blurred. Some people will need to dress up for work every day, some people will be successful from home, others will invest in countless pairs of scrubs. It’s hard to imagine what being an adult outside of college will be like since, technically, you’ve been an “adult” since you turned 18. Don’t let these things keep you awake at night. Perhaps investing in some nice interview clothes wouldn’t be a bad idea — but please also still rock your game day tailgating attire. Go ahead and spend one too many nights researching cool internships — but please also do fun things on weekends and Friday nights (or watch Netflix if that’s how you roll). Save up your money, you’ll thank yourself later — but please also treat yo’self to some feta bread, brunch at Sava’s or dinner at Frita’s.

3. Do what you actually love

Don’t let the whirlwind of what I’m sure is bound to be an exciting, yet overwhelming, senior year get you swept up. Don’t forget about the things that are important to you. You want to go to a Michigan Basketball game that starts at 9pm on a Tuesday even though you have an 8am on Wednesday’s? Be a dare devil. Do it. Ok, so maybe that’s just an Ashley thing, but put the things you really care about first. Sometimes that happens to be school and the classes you’re in, sometimes it’s time with friend or family, sometimes it’s time alone to relax and reflect. Whatever it may be, don’t be afraid to put it first. I have only recently understood that it is, in fact, okay to study a little less than necessary for an exam in order to do other things that make my heart full.

Do things that make your heart full.

Be present.

Your senior year is bound to be full of some of the best and hardest times of your young adult life. But you’ve still got some time left in junior year to enjoy your college life before everything becomes the “year of lasts,” take advantage of that.

Most importantly, credit yourself. You’ve survived almost three years as an undergraduate student at The University of Michigan. That’s certainly not something everyone can say and certainly not something everyone can do. You’ve worked hard to be where you are now. Take pride in the fact that you go to Michigan and appreciate the standard that you’re held to because of it, but don’t let it control you. You belong here.

Here’s to senior year, Class of 2018!

Photos courtesy of Ashley Preston

Ashley Preston is a Junior majoring in Communication Studies. She enjoys college football more than the average girl and hopes to someday work in the field of college sports. Ashley is currently a communications intern at the Michigan Athletic Department. Her favorite food is popcorn and she loves to spend her summers camping with family. Follow her on twitter @aprezt0n or on Insta @anpresto!