RuPaul’s Drag Race Queens and Pride Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

For those of you who haven’t heard of the show RuPaul’s Drag Race, I’ll give you a little run-down: it’s basically where a bunch of drag queens (i.e. male performers who dress as women) compete for the title of being America’s next drag superstar. Think along the lines of America’s Next Top Model but with drag queens, more personality, and probably more drama. So far, there have been eight seasons of the show and if you’re interested in watching any of them, look them up on logotv.com or Amazon Prime.

Personally, some of my favorite queens include Adore Delano, Bianca Del Rio, Alaska Thunderfuck, Katya, Sharon Needles, Willam, and more that I just can’t think of because there are TOO MANY memorable queens from the show. To me, the most entertaining drag queens not only need to perform well, but also must have a great sense of humor. Trust me, watching even one episode of RuPual’s Drag Race will get you hooked. I even got my mom into it.

Adore Delano (Season 6)

A cheap way for students who are fans of RuPaul, or even just drag queens in general, to see live performances is through Necto nightclub in Ann Arbor. Necto hosts Pride Night every Friday, and oftentimes they will hire drag queens to perform, including some of the infamous RuPaul’s Drag Race winners. I have seen Willam and Sharon Needles live at Necto, and coming soon (on February 10) the winner of season 5, Jinx Monsoon will make an appearance. They are all incredible performers, and I would highly encourage anyone to go watch. If you are a student at the University of Michigan and you show up before 11 PM on these days, you can get in for free (18+ only) by presenting your driver’s license and Mcard.

Images courtesy of: NewNowNext and The Huffington Post