This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Redefining Classic Movies: A Gen-Z Perspective 

“You haven’t seen Casablanca? What do you mean?! It’s a classic!” 

Many know this line all too well. Whether it’s your family friend, your grandparent, or your average film buff, the reaction is almost always the same. They look at you like you’ve committed arson or put pineapple on your pizza. For those who have been on the receiving end of this conversation, I sympathize with you. I, too, had never seen Casablanca

Fast forward to the fall of 2022, I’ve managed to watch Casablanca and much more. During the pandemic, I embarked on a journey to watch as many classic movies as possible. Ranging from West Side Story to Twilight, I spent copious amounts of time in front of the television. I desperately wanted to understand what makes these movies different from the rest. Why are they considered ‘classics’ in the first place? Do they deserve this title? 

I cannot offer you the perspective of a film expert. In fact, I cannot offer you anywhere close. I do fit the bill of a stereotypical Gen-Z teenager, however, and that perspective should count for something. In my opinion, a classic movie should transcend generational boundaries; it should convey some message or aura that speaks to multiple generations and/or cultures. If a film is able to accomplish this feat, that is a powerful piece of cinema and it should be recognized as such. With that in mind, this is my list of ‘classic’ versus ‘not classic’ movies. 

Breakfast at Tiffany’s: Classic

In the spirit of total transparency, large segments of this movie are a ‘snooze-fest.’ Perhaps it’s the 60’s movie accents; or maybe it’s the outdated ‘damsel in distress’ trope. Regardless, Breakfast at Tiffany’s has left an indelible mark on our society that is impossible to ignore. Sixty years after filming, people continue to wear Holly Golightly’s gown and pearls for Halloween and hang up her movie poster in their dorm. Audrey Hepurn is effortlessly elegant and her New York City aesthetic is undeniably timeless. You don’t have to love this movie. You don’t even have to like it. However, you do have to watch it because it is one of those movies that will appear in pop culture until the end of time. For that reason, Breakfast At Tiffany’s remains a classic. 

Saturday Night Fever: Not a classic 

My apologies in advance to John Travolta, the Bee Gees, and anyone who worked in the choreography department. I’m sorry it has to end this way, but this movie did not age well. Saturday Night Fever is filled with derogatory and sexist language towards women. Not to forget, there are various scenes of sexual assault that are better left off the screen. This depiction of men and women may have sufficed in the 70s, but it would never survive in today’s political climate. I wanted to love this movie so badly; I was ready to make it my whole personality. Nevertheless, Saturday Night Fever offers little redeeming quality for men and women alike. If you are politically conscious in the least, do not watch this movie. It’s not worth your time. 

Grease: Classic

Grease is the prototype of classic movies and for good reason. This 70s musical is filled with iconic characters, one liners, and greaser outfits – all of which are influential in their own way. However, the music is what sets this movie apart from the rest. I’ve listened to “Greased Lightning” and “Hopelessly Devoted to You” more times than I can count (and I know that I’m not alone in this endeavor). This movie is so impactful that most schools with a theater program have put on their own production of Grease looking to recreate the magic John Travolta and Olivia Newton John created on screen. Furthermore, there are endless Grease references that can be found in shows and movies today. In the 21st century, the Grease legacy is alive and well, and I suspect that will continue for a very long time. “Why it’s greased lightning!”

Top Gun: Classic 

“I feel the need…the need for speed!” 

Maybe I’m a little biased because Top Gun is one of my all-time favorites; however, it’s hard to deny the charm of this movie. Between the fun fighter pilot feel, the beloved soundtrack, and the underlying patriotism woven throughout, Top Gun remains memorable and enjoyable even today. This is most evident through the release of the sequel, Top Gun: Maverick. This sequel has garnered a lot of attention over the past few months, showing an enduring love of this movie that is unique. If this movie was not special, why would anyone want to film a sequel almost 40 years later? Both of these movies have captured the hearts of Americans across generational lines, and for that reason, it remains a classic. 

16 Candles: Not a classic 

This movie should not be considered a classic. Plain and simple. I understand that a lot of people feel a certain affinity towards Molly Ringwald and John Hughes. This makes sense since you can’t discuss 80s movies without mentioning these two. With that being said, I found this movie to be incredibly distasteful. To begin, many jokes in this so-called comedy come across raunchy or racist in relation to 21st century standards. Furthermore, this movie practically sanctions date rape, which is not a message any coming of age movie should be sending. 16 Candles reflects the time in which it was filmed, and there is nothing wrong with that. This movie belongs in the 80s, not on a list of classic movies. 

A proud D.C. native, Gabriella “Ellie” Richard comes to the University of Michigan excited to explore Ann Arbor and college life through a writer’s lens. She is currently interested in pursuing a political science major with a minor in Spanish. Aside from her writing, Ellie enjoys watching hockey games with her dad and listening to music on her record player.