Boots In The Snow
Boots In The Snow
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

The Reality of Snow for Warm Weather Fanatics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

When I left California to come to Michigan, the last thing on my mind was the weather. For most, the Midwestern chill is something that is taken into consideration before making a down payment. But I, for one, was more focused on the fascinating classes I’d be taking, Ann Arbor eats, and game days. When I think back, I’m fairly certain that I did not spend a single second thinking about the weather until the day of the first snow. For some reason, I thought it would be acceptable to go to class in a sweatshirt, ripped jeans, and an old pair of vans, all while a literal blizzard was occuring.

Since then, my relationship with the snow has grown and changed quite a bit. Things are typically pretty good between us except for when I underdress or when it is painfully cold out. Regardless, everyone loves to hype up the effect it has on day-to-day life. I’m here to reassure anyone who is concerned about the weather that it is not, in fact, the make it or break it of a college experience.

The truth is that while snow can be a pain in the butt at times, it is what you make of it. There are two options: put on your winter coat and boots and get outside, or sit in bed and mope all winter. The few people who are absolutely in love with the snow are certainly a minority, but it’s also not nearly as dreadful as some people make it out to be. Sure, it can be an inconvenience when my glasses fog up on the way to class because I was too lazy to put in my contacts. And at times it can make a 10 minute walk feel like an eternity. However, the biggest thing I’ve learned since coming to college is that undergrad is four years, and four years only; so if that means forcing myself to love the snow, then so be it.

I’ll never forget the first time I woke up to snow-covered rooftops. While my New Jersey-grown roommate was not too thrilled, it was one of the prettiest things I’ve seen. The honeymoon phase has since ended, but there are still days where I walk outside and immediately smile at the beauty of the snow and the energy in the air. Like anything in life, not every cold day is going to be fantastic. Some days completely suck. But when I’m back in sunny California during my breaks, I sometimes find myself wishing I was in chilly Ann Arbor, walking to class, holding a hot cup of coffee. 

Yes, I miss the sun. A lot. But no, I do not regret coming to a cold-weather school in the slightest. The ups and downs that come with Michigan’s crazy weather has played a part in molding my experience here, and have surprisingly been the reason for which I’ve made some amazing memories. 

I will always be a California girl at heart and nothing will change that. As fond of the snow as I have become, I’m someone who wants to buy a house on the water when I retire and spend my days on the beach. Adapting to an environment that some may define as the polar opposite is not easy, but even on the harder days I can still appreciate all that the Michigan winter is. It’s only early February and I know the weather could get significantly worse very fast, but I’d say I’m hanging in pretty well. At the end of the day, the cold will always make me miss the Southern California warmth, but the sunny days back in California are even able to make me miss the Midwestern chill.  

I'm Melanie Stamelman, a junior at the University of Michigan. I am the Campus Correspondent of UMich's chapter of Her Campus and am incredibly passionate about lifestyle journalism.  I follow the news and lifestyle trends, and am a self-proclaimed Whole Foods, spin obsessed wacko.  Thanks for reading xoxo.