Rachel Samitt: Standing up to Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

This week, Her Campus had the incredible opportunity to sit down with Rachel Samitt, The University of Michigan’s Relay For Life Mentorship Specialist. Rachel is from Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey and is studying Psychology and Economics here at the University of Michigan. She is currently in her sophomore year and a member of the Chi Omega sorority.

Her Campus: What are your favorite restaurants on campus?

Rachel Samitt: Sava’s and Angelo’s—no doubt.

HC: What is “Relay For Life”?

RS: “Relay For Life” is a 24-hour event on April 9th where everyone comes together and there are a lot of fun activities and events. It started with one doctor who wanted to raise money for cancer research so he walked around a track for 24 hours to raise money. It is now a day to honor and recognize survivors, but also to remember those who have passed. The goal of “Relay For Life” is to raise money for the American Cancer Society and to support cancer research.

HC: Why did you choose to get involved in “Relay For Life”?

RS: It was my way of fighting back against cancer. I lost my father to cancer and joining “Relay For Life” was my way of bringing my father with me.  

HC: What is your favorite part of being a part of “Relay For Life”?

RS: The community. It is a bunch of people who understand the fight against cancer and want to support each other.

HC: How can other people get involved in “Relay For Life”?

RS: Everyone can sign up online at Mrelay.org and have the opportunity to make their own team or join someone else’s! Everyone should get involved because it is such a special community. The connection you feel at the event is so powerful and moving. I made a Luminaria bag for my father, which was an meaningful experience for me.

HC: What is the Luminaria event?

RS: It is the ceremony of remembrance, where people who have lost loved ones to cancer can speak out and share their stories.

To find out more about Relay For Life, visit relay.acsevents.org.

Photo courtesy of Rachel Samitt.