Phyllis Taylor: LEAD Program Coordinator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Recently, Her Campus had the opportunity to sit down and talk to Phyllis Taylor, Senior Lead Program Coordinator. Through her job, Phyllis helps build a close knit community amongst Lead Scholars giving them a “home away from home.” Fortunately, Phyllis had some spare time to talk to us about what she does through her work and give us all some lovely advice while we thrive to make it in the real world.

Her Campus: Phyllis, what is your job title and main responsibilities?

Phyllis Taylor: Lead Program Coordinator, Alumni Student Recruitment and LEAD Scholars Programs.

HC: What do you love most about your job?

PT: Seeing that “ah ha” moment scholars have when some advice I’ve shared with them in the past finally clicks!

HC: What does a typical day look like for you?

PT: Planning and organizing social, skill building, and “life after college” events for the community of LEAD Scholars. I spend time talking with alumni who are interested in volunteering to recruit students to U-M. I also work with other Alumni Association staff to provide programs and services for our over 550,000 U-M alumni!

HC: What do you love most about Michigan?

PT: The many opportunities students, faculty and staff have to gain exposure to new and different things. I love the variety of activities and communities you can be involved with. From plays, to concerts, to sporting, to cultural, there’s something for everyone, even if you didn’t know about it before!

HC: What advice can you give to current and incoming students on how to succeed and enjoy life at Michigan?

PT: Keep in mind that making your way in “the real world” will take more than just good grades and a Michigan degree. It will take a network of people showing you the way and guiding you to achieve your goals. Remember to take advantage of all opportunities provided to you where you can begin to build that network.

For anyone interested in more information about the Lead Scholar Program check out http://alumni.umich.edu/scholarships/lead-scholars/

History of Art major with a double minor in Museum Studies and Native American Studies. Looking forward to my senior year at UM and staying involved in all of my organizations.