Our Hats are Eternally Tipped to You, Shonda Rhimes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Shonda, Shonda, Shonda… you’ve done it again. Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice stole our hearts after episode one, yet we somehow managed to make room in it for Olivia Pope, Fitz, and the world of DC drama when you created the masterpiece that is Scandal.  And now that How to Get Away with Murder has been added to our Thursday evening schedules, I just don’t know how much more love our hearts can hold. You have created a collection of shows that rivals the classics, and we are forever indebted to you for it.

NEED TO KNOW:

Shondaland: noun

A term affectionately coined by Shonda fans, it refers to the worlds of busy professionals, steamy romances, impeccable fashion and twisted drama that are Shonda Rhimes’ shows.

BACKGROUND:

Shonda was born on January 30, 1970 in Chi-town, USA.  She attended Dartmouth College where she earned degrees in English and Film Studies, and then went on to study screenwriting and get her Master of Fine Arts from University of Southern California. After graduation, Rhimes began writing shows in Hollywood and working various jobs to make ends meet. She worked on The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (who knew?) before gaining serious fame with Grey’s Anatomy in 2005 and Private Practice in 2007.

HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER:

Rhimes’ most recent show, How to Get Away With Murder, is consistently earning top ratings from fans and critics alike. The show stars criminal-law professor Viola Davis (who plays Annalise Keating), and probably hasn’t had people this excited about law since the days of Elle Woods and Legally Blonde. Haven’t sat down to watch this heart-pumping drama yet? Well you’re seriously missing out… From someone who considers herself somewhat of an expert on all things Shonda, I think it is really some of her best work. 

What truly makes Shonda’s shows so remarkable, though, is that they are amazingly cutting-edge. They feature strong, independent females like Meredith Grey, Olivia Pope, and Annalise Keating, shatter racial barriers and minimize sexual identity stereotypes.

I decided to ask my roommate (and the biggest Shonda fan I know) about her opinion of Rhimes’ work, and her response was this:

“Her shows are so captivating and exciting. I love her!” (I would also like to point out that How to Get Away with Murder was playing on the TV when I went in to talk to her).

Clearly, Shonda has given each of us a gift with her amazing talents. My Thursday nights would not be the same if they weren’t spent cuddled under blankets with my roommates, watching this genius’ work. So on behalf of us all, I truly thank you, Shonda. Hats off.  

Photo courtesy of huffingtonpost.com