A Non Sport-Watcher Talks Michigan March Madness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know what March Madness is. I even know what March Madness is, and based on my sports knowledge, you would think that I have been living under a rock. When I was younger, March was just a time when my dad became really competitive with his coworkers and yelled at the TV a lot. In high school, it was when all the jocks became super competitive and yelled at each other in the hallway over whose bracket was better. Being a stereotypical girl, I never got the whole appeal of March Madness. That was until this year (don’t worry, though. I’m still a stereotypical girl! The world still makes sense!).

I’m not going to pretend like I know much about basketball (despite having played it for two years—Junior High was my prime). I haven’t really been super involved in March Madness. I didn’t make a bracket, nor do I really understand bracket making, but if I had, I think I would’ve pegged Michigan to go this far, purely out of devotion to this fabulous university. I also probably would have put OSU as losing their first game, just because, hi, it’s Ohio State. My bracket would be that petty. Despite my lack of knowledge in this field, however, I am competent enough to understand that MICHIGAN IS IN THE FINAL FOUR, BABY.

Do you need me to repeat that for you? FINAL. FOUR. BABY.

On Friday March 29th, the University of Michigan basketball team beat University of Kansas, moving us into the Elite 8. I had to admit, I had my doubts we could pull it off. But then Trey Burke made that (surely worth five points) three pointer, which launched us into overtime. I think I practically lost my voice from screaming so loudly. I was biting my nails the whole time (which isn’t much different than usual—I have a bad nail-biting habit), but Michigan delivered, beating Kansas, placing us in the Elite 8. Then, yesterday, March 31st, Michigan beat the Florida Gators, moving us into the Final Four. The last time this happened was 1993—basically ages ago, right? The final score of the game was 79-59. Nik Stauskas scored 22 points, Trey Burke scored 15 points, and Mitch McGary scored 11 points and had 9 rebounds.

Michigan will take on Syracuse in the semifinals on Saturday April 6th. Tip off is at 8:49 P.M., so don your maize and blue and tune in! Piece of advice: if you’re as clueless to sports as I am, just watch the game with a bunch of guys and imitate their reactions. Happy March and GO BLUE! 

I'm a sophomore at the University of Michigan, majoring in Communications and Creative Writing. I like gifs, videos of people falling, and my cat. I don't take myself too seriously.