Is the New Apple iPhone 6 Really Worth the Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Whether or not you’re a technology junkie, you’ve likely heard about the release of the new Apple iPhone 6. With the days, weeks, months, and even years of hype the phone received, HC is here to see if it really lives up to its anticipated hype.

For those of you who are completely out of the loop and haven’t heard the details on Apple’s latest release, we’ll break down some of the highlights for you:

1. Bigger: The new iPhone 6 boasts a larger phone overall, available in two different sizes (“bigger than bigger” as Apple literally puts it). The standard iPhone 6 rings in at 4.7 inches, while the iPhone 6 plus spans 5.5 inches.

2. Thinner: We don’t know how they keep doing it, but the iPhone appears to be on a miracle diet that is doing wonders (hey, got any tips for us, Apple?).

3. Retina HD Display: This new and improved display has a higher resolution, and has been rumored to be shatterproof. If that’s the case, dreams really do come true.

4. Faster Wireless: Up to 3x faster than before? Enough said, we’re sold.

5. iPhone-Turned Wallet: A new feature called Apple Pay will make shopping “faster, easier, and more secure” by allowing you to pay for items in stores and within apps with just one touch.  

With my curiosity building, we decided to take to the streets of Michigan’s campus and find out what students really think of the new iPhone 6. 

We spoke to a senior, Kylie, with a heavy heart as she showed us her shattered iPhone that the past Michigan game day had left her with.

In Kylie’s partially-joking words, “I got so excited about the new phone that I smashed this one on the ground so I could get it immediately.” Kylie, we hope for your sake that this new shatterproof glass really works.

Katie, another senior at U of M, hadn’t heard much about the release, but she said she wasn’t overly impressed with what she did know.

Katie went on to say, “I didn’t watch the release, but from what I heard it wasn’t that dazzling. A lot of people were saying that they were trying to make it like the Galaxy, which is weird because the Galaxy should be trying to be like Apple.”

While emotions may be mixed about the new release, one thing is for sure: we have about 3 months until anticipation starts building for the next iPhone. Bask in these months people, they won’t last forever.  

Photo courtesy of Apple.com