This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Michigan winters can be tough for some, whether one is a native or not. Not only can temperatures be difficult to endure, but the dreariness of the weather makes the days bleed into each other. This repetitive dullness is not always ideal and can make it not just physically challenging but mentally as well. Personally, I enjoy the cold season, which can be an unpopular opinion depending on who you ask. Winter is far from over, but I have compiled a list of my personal winter favorites, ranging from movies to food. Every category matters and I am especially fond of my selections.  

Movies 

I am not at all an avid movie watcher, but when I do have a movie night, I enjoy them greatly and I find that they can be comforting during the cold season. These specific movies are wintry to me in atmosphere and the feelings they evoke. 

1. Snowpiercer: An underrated Bong Joonho movie, “snow” is in the name, it depicts the functioning of a hierarchical society on a sophisticated moving train with the lowest-rung at the very back and the elite at the very front, a revolt takes place to combat this inequitable framework. Super  

2. Home Alone: A winter classic. Some (me) may say it is a non-negotiable winter season watch. They do not make movies like this anymore.  

3. Us & Them: A very poignant, heart wrenching chronicle of a man and woman who serendipitously meet, following their relationship from significant others to strangers and then serendipitously crossing paths again after almost 10 years. Do not watch this if you do not want to feel a palpable despair in your heart. I do not cry during movies, but this one was undeniably beautifully sad, and I think it captures the complexity of human emotions and the bittersweetness of romantic love in an outstanding way. 

4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Also, super wintry, but also sad! It ponders the price of love and whether the sole experience of having loved and then lost is worth the inevitable pain.  

Clothing 

1. Uniqlo Heattech: I own leggings, mittens, long sleeves, and turtlenecks of various warmth levels. The “Ultra Warm” stuff is no joke. These are perfect for layering for those below-zero days. Uniqlo just has good basics in general that have held up well for me so far.  

2. Platform comfy boots: Being a short girl, I am so used to the feel of platforms that wearing flat shoes feels almost too close to the ground. I own the Sam Edelman Kace lug sole boots, which are so comfy. I do not have any “slip-resistant” shoes or actual snow boots, but having just one durable pair of shoes that are good for walking and not making my feet cold is perfect for me.  

3. Thick, chunky scarf: Not only are they cute, but they genuinely make a difference (and double as a convenient blanket that you can take with you).  

Books 

1. On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong: Hooray for queer POC authors! I absolutely love Vuong’s prose and this novel is melancholic and beautiful. He really instills anything seemingly ordinary with endless meaning and nuance.  

2. Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin: Anything by Baldwin is amazing, and this book, under 200 pages, has so much substance. Baldwin is spectacular at creating mood and it reads cinematically as if I am viewing the events through a series of film stills. 

3. The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu: This book is a collection of short stories that span genres (science fiction, fantasy). It is composed of independent stories so you can at least read some if not all without fully  

Activities 

1. Ice skating: Super fun with friends! Even if you don’t know how to or are bad at it like me, it’s always fun. 

2. Making hot chocolate: Homemade hot chocolate is always superior whether you make it from powder or from scratch.  

3. Journaling: There are so many approaches to journaling. You can rant about your day, note happy memories, reflect on things you’re grateful for, make some goals, make lists, even write creatively or doodle and write quotes. You can make journaling work for you. 

4. Thrifting: I get most of my winter sweaters from thrift stores. Plus, you can start looking out for additions to your warm weather wardrobe early! It can be even more fun if you make it into an activity of making outfits for a friend.  

Food 

Lastly, in terms of food, most of my sustenance comes from any soup or soup-adjacent item. I love ramen, pho, tomato soup, anything warm, cozy and comforting. I am also a hot beverage consumer so once it hits 30 degrees or less, I stop my consumption of iced lattes and Matchas. Support local independent cafes! 

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their winter. It may seem endless (and it basically is in Michigan), but there is a lot of fun that you can get out of the season. 

BCN major at University of Michigan-Ann Arbor and future neuropsychologist 🧠 I am a music, nature, and literature enjoyer who loves indulging in skincare, makeup, and fashion.