My Personal Guide to Ann Arbor Yums and Yays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

One thing about me is that I love discovering the next delicious meal or a yummy little beverage. Not to mention, I love to become attached to cute shops or pretty locales that I can justify procrastinating on academic obligations at. I have made the executive decision of not gatekeeping these locations, so please grant me my flowers for being a giving and altruistic individual. I also refrain from thinking these are worth gatekeeping because everyone and their mother knows a lot of them (they’re not exactly obscure, underrated spots). This list is personally approved by me and is a work in progress because I will never cease exploring the city for even more cool and awesome offerings. (This list is limited to places that are within walking distance of Central Campus.) 

1. Cafes: lab cafe and Sweetwater 

To be fair, Lab cafe is officially my comfort cafe and so I haven’t really been keeping an eye out for any other ones. I can always rely on them for a good beverage. My favorite drinks of theirs that I’ve tried are the hot matcha, the hot London Fog, and the hot lavender honey latte. I also really like some of their pastries, which change day-to-day. I enjoyed their vegan Oreo brownie, their creme brulee madeleine, and their pumpkin cream cake roll. Additionally, I tack on Sweetwater which is basically the most popular and accessible A2 cafe ever, but to specifically recommend the French Vietnamese au lait and the imperial milk tea (both of which I ordered hot). Sidebar but I’ve only recommended hot beverages, although I do think these would taste just as good iced! Both cafes are good locations to study or work on assignments as well. 

2. Indian food: Namaste Flavors 

I love Indian food so much and Namaste Flavours is the only A2 location I’ve frequented (but it definitely won’t be the only one). Their mango lassi is perfect and a safe choice if you crave some good butter chicken, naan, lamb vindaloo, or goat biryani. The ambience is pretty quiet, and it is literally in a house, so it is a great spot for a nice quaint dinner with a friend (or a cute dinner date!).  

3. Brunch: Stray Hen and Savas 

Stray Hen is my go-to whether I’m going out to brunch with a friend or if I’m craving some brekkie after a 10 am class during which I definitely skipped breakfast. Their ancient grains bowl is insane, you can’t go wrong with their traditional breakfast or bagel breakfast sandwich, and their drinks are decent. For a more upscale, dine-in brunching experience, Savas is a cute spot. I’ve only been there once but I trust that it is a quality choice for your next brunch date.  

4. Noodles: Totoro, Tomukun Noodle Bar, AND No Thai 

One thing Ann Arbor can brag about is its noodle offerings. Totoro is an absolute gem, especially for those who really love Studio Ghibli films. I love their sushi offerings and their tempura and Totoro udon. (They should really pay me royalties for the number of times I’ve been here). Tomukun Noodle Bar offers many kinds of noodles: udon, ramen, pho; not to mention they have rice dishes and other assorted Asian foods. Also, keep in mind that both Totoro and Tomukun have lunch specials! Stop in before 3 pm for some good deals on some really delicious food. No Thai’s drunken noodles are pretty good and especially if you want a quick, convenient choice. 

5. Korean Food: Hola Seoul, The Seoul, and Kang’s Korean Restaurant 

I have two comfort Korean restaurants in Michigan that are not in A2 (gatekeeping these), but to fill that void, I refer to these three restaurants. If you want convenience and an affordable choice, stop by Hola Seoul for their Seoul chicken sandwich or the various other street foods/snacks they offer. The Seoul has a similar name but please look into their lunch specials! They are such a good, delicious deal for the amount and quality you receive. Having the popcorn chicken box for lunch changed my brain chemistry for the better. Lastly, I include Kang’s, which is a small cozy spot. I love a good hot stone bibimbap and they deliver. The staff are nice and friendly and it’s just a sweet little place.  

6. Bookstores: Literati, Vault of Midnight, Dawn Treader 

Literati is hands-down my favorite A2 bookstore (literally Barnes & Noble who). They have such a good selection considering the size of the store and I just love the layout and ambience. Vault of Midnight is ideal for those who are interested in comics, manga, puzzles, games, and other collectibles. They are my trusty Smiski blind box supplier. Super cool place for buying gifts! I also include Dawn Treader for those who want to buy used books. In addition, it’s a fun place to explore given its secondhand nature and also its unique layout that makes me feel like I’m exploring and searching for a good read. 

7. Museums: UMMA and Natural History Museum 

Before becoming a student, I visited the U of M Museum of Art a couple times and absolutely loved it. Now that I am nearby, it’s such an easy spot to visit when I want to spend some time looking at artwork. Plus, I sometimes find a spot to get some schoolwork done, there is a cafe, and a cool gift shop. The Natural History Museum is also a cool spot. I absolutely loved dinosaurs as a kid (and I still do) so this place is fun to spend some time at. Kids would really enjoy it, but I think it would be enjoyable for anyone who is interested. 

I’m ending the list here and I hope there is at least one place that is helpful, new, or interesting! Downtown Ann Arbor is a nice place to take steps in and explore to find your own places to enjoy. If you want a natural area to find some peace or fresh air away from the city, I recommend visiting the Nichols Arboretum (which is not officially in the list because it’s a bit of a walk but still walkable to me and is accessible by bus as well). Have fun exploring Ann Arbor! 

BCN major at University of Michigan-Ann Arbor and future neuropsychologist 🧠 I am a music, nature, and literature enjoyer who loves indulging in skincare, makeup, and fashion.