Musket Presents: The Sister Act

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

This week Her Campus had the honor of interviewing two thespians from Musket’s Production, The Sister Act, Chris Campbell and Anneliza Canning-Skinner! Campbell, a junior in the School of Music, Theatre & Dance studying Musical Theatre, is the show’s director. And the lead actress, Anneliza, Canning-Skinner is currently a senior, also in the School of Music, Theatre & Dance studying Musical Theatre.

Her Campus: What is your favorite scene in The Sister Act?

Anneliza Canning-Skinner: Wow, this question is honestly so hard. But I would definitely have to say I feel most alive in this show in “Fabulous, Baby! (Reprise).” I don’t want to give any spoiler alerts, but it’s really exciting to see Deloris hit her tipping point and finally allow herself to directly face the troubles in her life. I think it’s such a rollercoaster of a scene and it’s a transformative moment for Deloris as a person.

Chris Campbell: My favorite scene would have to be Raise Your Voice! This scene captures some of the shows main themes about one’s purpose in life and self-discovery. It’s a pivotal moment for many of the characters and it’s done in such a fun and humorous way.

HC: Which is your favorite memory from rehearsals?

ACS: One day we were doing a run of the show, and after Mother Superior sings “I Haven’t Got a Prayer,” she was performing the little scene on the phone. And Zion, Maya’s friend, was pretending to be the person on the other line. But he was also responding loud enough that the whole room could hear him from the corner of the room, and we were all dying laughing so hard. He is so silly.

HC: Which scene do you think will most connect with the audience?

ACS: I have high hopes for the number, “Sister Act,” in the show. CC: I don’t want to give too much away but the moments I think will resonate have to do with accepting and respecting each other’s differences and embracing the variety of life that surrounds us.

HC: What is a typical rehearsal like?

ACS: The rehearsal process changes throughout as we get further in the production process. But, we started out learning music, and then we would put it on its feet, blocking and choreography. CC: A typical rehearsal starts with some kind of warm up or review of the material we would be staging that day. When choreographing, I usually break a number down into sections and then teach by section. For scenes, I like to start with a skeleton of the blocking/staging and then go back and work through the intentions, objectives and character specifics.

HC: How often do you rehearse?

ACS: I can’t speak for everyone, but I was at rehearsal 90% of the time. Rehearsals were typically every day, except for Saturdays, 7 to 11 pm. And we actually started rehearsals on my birthday, which was January 17 earlier this semester. CC: We rehearse Sunday through Friday 7-11 pm.

HC: Did you participate in theatre before this production? If so, what are some other productions you’ve done?

ACS: I’ve participated in many theatre productions prior to this one.  CC: At Michigan I’ve participated in many productions, including The Drowsy Chaperone, Guys and Dolls, American Idiot, The Music Man.

HC: Who would you recommend see this production?

ACS: I’d recommend everyone to come and see this fun story. Everyone can gain something from anything! You’ll never know, unless you come and see the show!

HC: I would recommend everyone see this production! It’s got humor and heart. Also, who doesn’t love disco-singing nuns!

For anyone interested in seeing the show, it will take place THIS weekend, March 24-26 at the Power Center for the Performing Arts! Tickets are available here. (http://www.ummusket.org/buy-tickets )

Linguistics and Cognitive Science Major at the best school in the land!