MUSIC Matters Springfest Showcase: A Night at the Museum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

MUSIC Matters  (Music Undergrads Serving In The Community Matters) is a student-run non-profit that connects the Michigan community through music and ignites positive social change. The organization has been active for seven years on campus, and has hosted many musical artists such as J. Cole, Ben Folds, 2 Chainz, Common, Migos, and Lil Yachty. Through these performances and other fundraising events, MUSIC Matters has donated $10,000 to C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital and $5000 to create the first “student-for-student” scholarship model in the country. 

The leaders of MUSIC Matters are now excited to announce that the organization will be teaming up with the UMMA, the art museum on Michigan’s campus, for a Springfest Showcase. Through this event, the organization aims to support local music groups in a space which promotes artistic expression and culture. The event is scheduled to take place from 5:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. on October 19th and is open for the public’s enjoyment, free of charge. 

The featured artists are: Andrea Doria, OSSI Music, and The Kelseys, all young, local Ann Arbor music groups who define their genres as indie pop, indie rock, and electronically inspired rap and R&B, respectively. These up-and-coming musicians were all founded at the university, and are performing mini-sets at 20-25 minutes long to showcase their best pieces. This event will be especially unique, since the venue of the UMMA will promote careful listening to the quality of the music, as opposed to a large auditorium or athletic arena, places which have been loud and chaotic in the past. 

This event is sure to be one that U of M students should not miss out on, as it’s an amazing opportunity to connect students through music and art. 

Devin Ablow

U Mich '20

Devin is a feature editor for the University of Michigan chapter of Her Campus. She is a junior studying English and Psychology, and hopes to eventually become a child psychologist. Follow her on instagram, devin_ablow, go blue!