alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

MUSIC Matters: The Importance of Student-Run Organizations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

There are a lot of amazing things that happened this past summer at the University of Michigan, but one of the most amazing was the MUSIC Matters Summer 2017 Campus Experience. For those of you who don’t know, MUSIC Matters is a student run organization on campus who coordinate all of our fun concerts and events, including Springfest but also value social venture and give back to the greater Detroit area. This past summer, MUSIC Matters partnered with the world’s leading music company, Universal Music Group, to start an invaluable program called MOvE, or the Michigan Overnight Experience, which provided high school students with the opportunity to stay overnight at the University of Michigan. This event allowed these students to tour campus and bond with one another, while being educated on the college application process and the benefits of a college degree. This camp was entirely free, funded by the profits of Springfest, UMG, and other MUSIC Matters concerts, and aimed at supporting rising sophomores from the Metro Detroit area through the upcoming college admissions process. MoVE enabled them to learn more about the University of Michigan through exploring different majors and career paths, and according to the campers’ feedback forms, each and every high school student named MoVE as a valuable experience, as they all learned something about themselves and the college process. The camp also furthered their desire for a higher education, prompting them to continue to make connections and educate themselves on the University of Michigan and any other schools they were interested in. Overall, this camp was extremely beneficial to those who attended and to the University of Michigan as a whole, as it showed the generosity and drive to help the community from University of Michigan students. This camp only further proves how important and how successful student run organizations are on campus. They truly have a vital role in supporting the school and the entire surrounding community. 

Images Courtesy of: MUSIC Matters