This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

This was a fantastic season for the Michigan Wolverines, and after making an appearance in Indianapolis and heading to the Sweet 16 (go blue!!!), we’re starting to get a little nostalgic about this season.  Though we can’t pick a favorite player because they are all so different, we chose a team champ in all of the most relevant basketball categories (there is nothing more important than having a good Instagram), along with a runner up and a prediction for next season.

BFF Goals: Derrick Walton Jr. & Zak Irvin

This was a solid season for Walton and Irvin, who have been roomies since freshman year and form Michigan basketball’s favorite bromance.  Walton, a guard known for his tremendous vision on the court and versatile scoring abilities, had an insane season that culminated in his being named 2017 team MVP.  Besides crazy accomplishments on the court (like being the only Michigan hoops player of all time to score 1,000 points, get 500 rebounds and have 400 assists), Walton showed his amazing dedication during the Big 10 tournament.  When the plane ran off of the runway on their way to the tournament, Walton’s knee was hit by the emergency door and he had to get five stitches–only to score 29 points against Minnesota a few days later, propelling the Wolverines to the Big 10 title game!  Irvin, another guard, had a similarly impressive season thanks to his consistency and reliability on the court.  He’s a quiet player and doesn’t have a overly flashy playing style, but he demands a lot of respect.  He’s second on the team in points per game and his discipline and athleticism serve as models for everyone else.  Both Walton and Irvin started all 37 games this season. Both are seniors with no eligibility left, meaning we definitely won’t see them in maize and blue next year.  We’ll probably see them playing in Europe or in the NBA’s minor league next year, and we hope that it’s together so that they can keep their BFF status. 

BFF Goals Runners Up: Andrew Dakich & Duncan Robinson (they have a Podcast together!)

Most likely to win “BFF Goals” next year: Mo Wagner & DJ Wilson (It’s not clear whether they have any bromance off the court, but with their similar playing styles, we definitely ship it.)

Most Hype: Mo Wagner

Wagner, a forward from Berlin, Germany, can be spotted from a mile a way on the court because of his constant enthusiasm and desire for dubs.  As a sophomore this year, he started all 37 games and was third on the team in points per game.  He’s among the leaders in Big 10 field goal percentage and 3-point percentage, something that almost never happens and is evidence of his incredible shooting abilities.  But Wagner is mostly known for bringing the hype, every game, no matter what (and for the fact that he “accidentally” ran over Indiana’s coach while celebrating).  While other players might be intimidated during away games when the other team’s student section is cheering against them, Wagner gets motivated.  He plays angry when he has to and feeds off of the energy of the crowd.  Wagner could possibly be a draft pick for the NBA this year, but it’s more likely that we’ll see him again in maize and blue.  Keep your fingers crossed, because his excitement on the court was critical to our success this year!

Most Hype Runner Up: Andrew Dakich (He redshirted but still managed to be the second biggest motivator on the team, even from the bench, where he very rarely sat down.)

Shortest Shorts: DJ Wilson

DJ Wilson, a junior forward with a 7’3” wingspan, started all but two games for Michigan this year. He averaged 15.3 points per game in the Big 10 Tournament, lead the team in rebounding, and, perhaps most notably, somehow manages to have shorter shorts every single game.  We dig it though–he can pull it off!  Wilson redshirted his freshman year due to an injury, and was a solid player his sophomore year, averaging about 6 minutes per game.  This summer, however, he glowed up so hard, becoming one of the most energetic and reliable players on Michigan’s team.  He was 46-for-56 on the free-throw line, averaged 30.3 minutes per game, and seemed to get better every time out on the court.  In the February 19th game against Minnesota, it was Wilson’s incredible 3-pointer that sent the game into overtime.  Like Wagner, there’s a slim chance Wilson would be drafted in the NBA, but we’re hoping that our hunch that he’ll stay at Michigan is correct.

Runner up for shortest shorts: No one. There’s literally no competition.

Longest Name: Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman

He’s a junior, he’s a guard, he went to Catholic Central, and he has not one, not two, not three, but four names.  Yep, that’s none other than the Wolverines’ own Muhammad-Ali Abdur Rahkman!  Rahkman has had a great season, starting in all but one game, being second in the league for three-point percentage during Big 10 games.  A valued member of the starting five, Rahkman’s athleticism and determination were crucial for our success this season.  Rahkman will most likely be back at U of M for his senior year, and unless our recruiting goes absolutely wild, he will likely still have the longest name on the team.

Runner up for longest name: Derrick Walton Jr. (not sure letter-wise, but the “Jr.” really gives the illusion of length.)

Most Hipster Instagrammer: Duncan Robinson

Duncan Robinson, also known as d_bo20 on IG, is more than just dope VSCO filters.  A senior guard from New Hampshire, this is Robinson’s second year playing for U of M.  Before that, he played for Williams College, and he’s the first player ever to transfer from a DIII to a DI school and receive a full scholarship.  This year he played in all 37 games for the Wolverines,  and he is known for his high energy and his fantastic shooting skills.  Robinson is second on the team in 3-point shooting with a 43.1 3-point percentage, meaning the boy can shoot!  Robinson is a senior, so he won’t be back next year, but the team is really going to miss his fantastic shooting and strong IG game!

**Special thanks to my brother Sam Harshe for all his help on this article!

Photos Courtesy MLive, UM Hoops, 247Sports

Hannah is an editorial intern for Her Campus and the editor of the High School section as well as a chapter writer for the University of Michigan. Achievements include being voted "Biggest Belieber" (2010) and "Most Likely to Have a Child Born Addicted to Starbucks" (2016), as well as taking a selfie with the back of Jim Harbaugh's head.  Goals for the future include taking a selfie with the front of Jim Harbaugh's head.  She's also an obsessive Instagrammer, so hit her with a follow @hannah.harshe