McKenna Thayer: Michigan’s Woman Up Front

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Her Campus had the amazing opportunity to talk to the University of Michigan Marching Band’s drum major McKenna Thayer. McKenna is currently a senior double majoring in Earth and Environmental Sciences and Program in the Environment.

Her Campus: First, congratulations on a successful season so far! What has been your favorite moment as drum major this season?

McKenna Thayer: My favorite memory so far is band week this year.  It was fun to get to teach the band and work with all of them so closely for a few weeks. The backbend is fun, but at the end of the day all of my favorite memories are when it’s just the band and me, working hard.

At the end of the week we have what we call “First Look” which is our first challenge to see who gets to march in the first show (we re-audition for the shows each week!). Experiencing this was one of proudest moments because I got to watch this band that came together a few weeks ago moving together!  I spent all summer learning how to best teach them, and then two very intensive weeks of teaching and demonstrating and tweaking, and it was wonderful to see all of our hard work come together.

HC: What was your biggest challenge this season?

MT:  I think it is well known that I have struggled a few times with the backbend.  More, it has been hard to figure out how to be good at performing in front of 110,000 people each week, especially because you can’t exactly replicate that in practice.  I was really in my head at the beginning of the season.  I ended up figuring it out, and have nailed it every time since then, but I still struggle with worrying that all people see and remember are the times I didn’t nail the backbend. But honestly, not perfecting that back bend has been one of the best things to happen to me as Drum Major. The band rallied behind me and supported me.  They still loved me and stood by my side even after I struggled, and it really is because of their support and encouragement that I was able to figure it out at all! 

HC: So how long did it take to learn how to do that back bend?

MT: It took a few months to figure out how to make my body do that, but I know people who have gotten it much faster than that!  A lot of people assume I was a gymnast, which I definitely am not!  I have to do a lot of stretching, practicing, and visualizing to keep my back bend it up to par. 

HC: Do you have a favorite performance?

MT: This is a hard question that I think all band members get asked a lot. I have a top four halftime shows, but not in any order because I really cant decide which is the best.  Those are the NY Philharmonic show, Pixmob, Beyonce, and James Bond. I didn’t get to march the Bond or Beyoncé shows, but they were so well written!  If anyone doesn’t know which shows I’m referring to here, you should absolutely watch them on youtube. I will never forget my first pregame (versus Nebraska in 2013, it was the week we made the “cake”).  I would like to say it was my first pregame as Drum Major, but to be honest I was so nervous and don’t remember that much.  Obviously every game in the Big House is way better than any game anywhere else, but I really enjoyed touching my head to the ground in the MSU and OSU stadiums, especially since I get to watch their Drum Majors try something similar afterwards (they usually only touch the feather in their hat to the ground). It kind of feels like I am claiming the field for our own when I do that!

HC: How did you first get involved with the Michigan Marching Band?

MT: I came to U of M with my eyes on the Marching Band.  After all, it is the best band in the country! It was a huge part in why I chose to come to UM, and even apply in the first place.  So ever since I knew my home was here I knew I wanted the Michigan Marching Band (MMB) to be my home as well.  I feel extremely lucky to have even gotten in!

HC: Any advice for anyone thinking of joining the band?

MT: My advice for anyone who wants to join the MMB, or any college band or really any Student Org, is absolutely go for it. The MMB has been my family these past few years, and the will be going forward.  You do so much of your learning here at UM outside of the classrooms, and its what you do with your free time that counts the most in my opinion!  Best decision I ever made was to be a part of this amazing program, and this amazing institution.

For anyone interested in joining the marching band check out http://mmb.music.umich.edu/joinTheBand

Photos courtesy of: Wolverine247 and the Michigan Marching Band

Alexa is a senior at the University of Michigan majoring in Art & Design. When she's not holed up in the studio Alexa loves baking and cooking, getting involved with her sorority, and a good Jersey bagel. Some of her passions include corny puns, cartoons, feminism, Frita Batidos, and an intense love for dogs. Check out Alexa's instagram @ alexacaruso178 and her art @ alexacarusoart