Know Someone Accepted to the University of Michigan? Here are the Five Best Gifts for a New Wolverine.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

College admissions season is upon us. As stressful as it might be, a college acceptance is also one of the most rewarding moments to experience. And if that acceptance is to the University of Michigan, the admitted student is about to embark on the arguably best journey of their life. 

Do you know someone who recently committed to spending their next four years at UMich? Here is the ultimate gift guide for a brand new Wolverine that is not just your typical basic t-shirt or M Den gift card. Congratulations to the class of 2026!

FOR THE FASHIONABLE: A VINTAGE MICHIGAN SWEATSHIRT

You can never go wrong with a vintage sweatshirt. It’s the perfect combination of comfort and sustainability. Vintage Michigan apparel is always trending in Ann Arbor, yet no one ever looks the same. Whether on gameday, at Sunday brunch, or walking to class, you can always find someone repping thrifted UMich gear. The recipient of a vintage crewneck or hoodie is guaranteed to have a unique clothing item that will last beyond graduation. Check out Motivation on South University if you make the trip to Ann Arbor or @umichapparel, @university_vintage, and @brokengravityapparel to support smaller online businesses. Etsy, Depop, and Poshmark have some affordable options as well. 

FOR THE EXPLORER: GIFT CARDS TO ANN ARBOR RESTAURANTS

Ann Arbor was voted best college town in America for many reasons, one being its food. A gift card to one of Ann Arbor’s many restaurants is a thoughtful present. It is more personal than your traditional gift card and will go to good use. Some fan favorites include Zingerman’s, Sava’s, and Pizza House. Besides a break from the dining hall, a restaurant gift card is a perfect reason for a Wolverine to explore Ann Arbor and meet new friends over a meal. This is a gift that doesn’t have to break the bank, but a gesture that will go a long way. 

For the Studious: A Quality Notebook

The one thing every college student needs is a quality notebook or planner. From organizing assignments to writing to-do lists, a college student will use a notebook at all hours of the day. I love my useful yet pretty Papier planner, and Shinola, a local Detroit-based brand, also offers great leather-bound notebooks. Both companies have reasonably-priced, high-quality, customizable notebooks that are the perfect, practical gift for an incoming college student. 

for the homebody: a candle

A candle is an affordable and adorable decoration that will make any college dorm feel more like home. I received one as a gift before heading to school, and it is still in my room today. Even though you might not be permitted to light it in the dorms, it is still a thoughtful and personal accessory for any room. I’m a huge fan of Homesick, a company whose customizable candles smell like a specific location. I love looking at my Philadelphia candle and thinking of my hometown, but an incoming UMich student would love the tailgate or Michigan designs to get them excited for the fall. 

For the Foodie: Sweet Treats

Any Michigan-themed dessert is guaranteed to be a popular gift and please the crowd. Accepted students will love eating maize and blue treats when celebrating with friends and family. The recipient can also enjoy the gift way before arriving in Ann Arbor and starting the school year. Dana’s Bakery, Treat House, Baked in Color, All About the Board, Shookies Cookies, and Zola Bakes are small businesses that offer custom, spirited, and delicious Michigan sweets.

Carly Brechner is a UMich sophomore from Philadelphia studying Communications and Media. When she isn't reading or writing, she is gossiping about pop culture and exploring all that Ann Arbor has to offer.