Kaitlin Zolna ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

What does your ideal life consist of? So many people dream of being in movies, establishing amazing worldwide connections, getting the most out of their college experience, and having an incredible job; Kaitlin Zolna, only a sophomore in college, has done all of those things already. She was Hayden Panetierre’s stand-in in the movie Scream 4, she landed a paid internship in Disney World, she’s on the Michigan Pompon team, and she excels in her classes.

HC: Tell me about your experience with Scream 4.

KZ: Well, I was Hayden Panetierre’s stand-in and photo double. Shooting the movie took about four or five months. I had planned on taking classes, but the shooting ran a few weeks late, and because every shoot was a night shoot that lasted at least twelve hours, I wouldn’t leave the set until six in the morning! I knew there was no way I could do the movie and school, so I took the semester off and just focused on the movie.

HC: How did you get the part to begin with?

KZ: Well, I was involved with a talent agency and I went to a couple of other auditions. They interviewed me and asked me to audition for Scream 4 because I looked like Hayden and we’re both the same height; it just kind of worked out. I got the part a couple of weeks before we started filming.

HC: What was meeting Hayden Panetierre like?

KZ: Actually, it’s really funny. I had to film a scene where I was in a car. When I finished the scene, I had to go to the back of the car in order to get out of it. I jumped off of the car and rolled my ankle. I tried to play it off and ignore it, but then the medic came over. Hayden was like, “Are you oaky?” That was my first time meeting her! It was so embarrassing!

HC: I understand you took another semester off to work at Disney World. How did that happen?

KZ: Well, I had a friend in high school who went to Disney and she seemed to really love it, so I thought I’d try it because I love Disney, as well. I applied online and then did a phone interview. Then, I had to go to a separate audition because I did entertainment. So, I took another semester off and took the paid internship. It was like a dream job for me. I wanted to do something like that for a while so I thought I might as well do it while I still had the chance. I made so many friends all over the country, so it was really upsetting to have to leave them. Plus, I loved meeting all of the little kids who wanted to take pictures of me when I worked in Disney. Seeing their faces light up was absolutely amazing.

HC: Tell me exactly how the character choosing process works in Disney.

KZ: Well, we’re not allowed to explain everything because then the “magic” is lost, but basically I’m “friends” with Minnie, Mickey, Stitch, Pinocchio, Thumper, Donald, and a few other characters. The characters that you’re “friends” with is based off of your height. Every character has his or her own autograph that has to be learned. I’ve met kids and grownups of all ages from all over the world and I’ll never forget their reactions of just pure happiness. Sometimes little kids would give Minnie notes and drawings and I keep them in a little box!

HC: What’s your actual dream job?

KZ: I don’t really know actually. I’d love to do more things in movies and movie production. Honestly, I’d love to be best “friends” with Minnie Mouse for the rest of my life. Realistically, though, I’d like to be a newscaster or something in broadcasting. Maybe even a sideline reporter at football games.

HC: What advice would you give somebody who had to choose between going to school and taking an opportunity like yours?

KZ: I’m really happy I did both things. They were a lot of hard work and definitely put me behind in school, but they were worth it. I think it’s important to take a risk once in a while, especially because I had wanted to do things like movies and Disney for so long and I know they were once in a lifetime opportunities. So, I would definitely tell somebody to take the chance and do something they love. College will always be here. Plus, it’s important to take adventures when you’re younger. Now I have tons of stories to tell my grandkids!

My name is Jenn. I'm a student at the University of Michigan and I'm double majoring in Communications and Psychology.
Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.