Just Michigan Things: Top Five Tips to Becoming a Wolverine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Being a transfer student can be super overwhelming and confusing. Not only do we have to worry about making new friends, navigating campus and doing well in our classes, but we also have to learn all of the weird quirks that only pertain to our new university. Like the University of Michigan, most large schools have unsaid superstitions and rules that students are expected to follow. It’s almost like being in an exclusive club, except no one tells you what the rules are because new students are supposed to learn them during their first few weeks of school by word of mouth and by observing everyone else. Freshman are cut some slack on learning this list because they are new to college, but for transfer students there is more pressure to catch on during the first few days of the semester because they are sophomores and upperclassmen on campus.

After experiencing the first half of my first semester at U of M, I’ve come up with a guide to the university’s top five quirks that new students need to master in order to become a true wolverine!

1. Michigan Time

Michigan time basically means that class starts ten minutes late. So, if your schedule says you have a lecture that starts at 11:30am, it really starts at 11:40am. This rule is actually a god sent because it eliminates the worry of being late to class; however, it’s good to get there at the normal time it starts to be able to get a good seat. Even though most classes start on Michigan Time, one problem with this rule is that not all of university’s events do. Make sure to be aware of this when planning out your schedule to avoid awkwardly showing up late!

2. Don’t Walk on the “M”!

Students at U of M are all about their school logo: they wear it on their clothes and have stickers of it on their laptops, water bottles, and cars. You can’t walk through any part of campus without seeing multiple “Ms.” There is one “M” in particular that is treated as if it’s sacred: the giant, brass “M” in the middle of the diag. This “M” takes school spirit to a whole new level because during the football season, it is guarded by students on rotating shifts. They sit on couches, with a tent over them and fend off any other teams’ attempts to vandalize it. Now that we’ve established how sacred the “M” is, it’s no surprise to hear that there is a rule that goes with it: don’t step on the M! If you step on it, you will fail your first blue book exam!

3. Spin the Cube and do WHAT for Good Luck??

One way to help gain some good luck is to spin the 15-foot-wide and 15-foot-long sculpture that weighs about two tons. It’s located in the middle of central campus and is actually very easy to spin, despite its heavy weight. Good news: if you are unfortunate enough to not pay attention to your footsteps and accidentally walk on the “M,” there is an official way to reverse the curse. However, the bad news is that it’s a complex and embarrassing process. To ensure that you won’t fail your blue book exam, you have to run naked from the “M” in the diag to the puma statues in front of the Ruthven Museum of Natural History. If being naked isn’t enough pressure, you have to do it all within the minute before the Bell Tower strikes midnight. To avoid this embarrassing situation, just avoid walking on the “M” at all costs!

4. The Ugli isn’t Ugly

The Ugli is the nickname for the Shapiro Library, located right by the diag. This nickname is ironic because the brick building is far from being ugly. Lots of thought went into the design of this library because it’s the perfect study space: it has practically every amenity you’d need, including comfy seats and snacks! So, if the building looks nice, why is it called the Ugli? It’s an abbreviation for undergraduate library. Mind blowing, I know.

5. Wear Maize, but say “Go Blue!”

No matter the type of sporting event you attend at U of M, you will see the student section full of fans wearing the color maize head to toe, with an accent color of blue. Only the Michigan newbies will be wearing solid blue, so go all out in this bright, golden hue to be a true wolverine. Now that you’ve got your wardrobe covered, you also have to learn the lingo. Even though you’re supposed to wear maize, don’t say “Go Maize!” It’s “Go Blue!” It’s confusing, but just go with it. This way both of U of M’s colors are covered in your display of school spirit!

Even though these rules are peculiar and may even be annoying, it’s all part of the ginormous amount of school spirit and fun at U of M! As long as you master this list of traditions, no one will even know that you were a clueless new student not too long ago!

Images Courtesy of: Alexa Di Luca, lib.umich.edu, campusinfo.uich.edu, cio.umich.edu

Alexa Di Luca is transfer student at the University of Michigan, studying communications. 
Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!