samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Julianna Davidek: Ballroom Dancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

This week, Her Campus had the profound pleasure of interviewing Ballroom Dancer, Julianna Davidek. Julianna is a junior in LSA studying International Studies, and has been part of the Ballroom Dance Team since her freshman year.

Her Campus: What made you gain interest in Ballroom?

Julianna Davidek: I started dancing ballroom in high school because I was in musical theater and our choreographer thought it was a good skill for us students to learn. Then when I came to campus, I took interest during the escapade/artscapade night. I saw a couple dancing ballroom on the sidewalk, I took a flier, I went to a newcomer lesson, and voila! 3 years later here I am!

HC: What has been your favorite part so far?

JD: My favorite part about ballroom–it sounds cheesy–but it has to be the sense of community and family. With 200 people on the team you might think that it’s hard to know everyone, but we make it a team priority to meet everyone and provide a friendly sense of welcome support. I’ve met some of my best friends through dance!

HC: How often do you practice?

JD: This year I haven’t been practicing as much as I should because I am working 2 jobs on top of taking classes, but my partner is just as busy so we mesh well! However, I know of people who practice seven days a week! It just depends really. You get what you put in.

HC: Where are some of the places you have travelled with the team?

JD: For competitions we usually stay in the Midwest area: around the state, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois. The farthest we go is Wisconsin. My favorite competitions are our home competition, the Ohio Star Ball (because they have a professional dance show), and Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Sports Classic because it’s a giant convention for a bunch of different sports and Arnold always comes and talks to us!

HC: Which type of dance is your favorite and why?

JD: My all-time favorite dance will always be the waltz because when I was little my mom used to waltz with my brother and me in the kitchen. Besides that, I really like all Latin/rhythm dances: cha-cha, rumba, swing, jive, samba, and mambo because they are lively, sometimes sexy, and just all around fun!

HC: What would you say to someone who is interested in joining?

JD: To anyone thinking of joining… just do it!!! We have a lot of fun (FREE!!) newcomer lessons for people to try out if they’re still a little skeptical or shy. The team is all inclusive and welcomes all levels of dancers, so for anyone saying “I can’t dance” I always tell them “everyone can dance! But if you join the team, we can actually teach you!” Also, just because we can elegantly whisk around the dance floor doesn’t mean we don’t pull out all the awkward dance moves at our parties! Ballroom is great all-around.

Image Courtesy: stardanceschool.com and Julianna Davidek​.

Linguistics and Cognitive Science Major at the best school in the land!