This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

On January 7th, in response to a cartoon image of the prophet Muhammad being published, two gunmen killed twelve people in the Charlie Hebdo headquarters. In the days after the massacre, many cartoonists from all over the world emerged with political drawings of their own.

To recap, Charlie Hebdo is a famous French satirical magazine, similar to our American version of The Onion. Some argue that its published pieces push boundaries and waver ever so delicately on the lines of appropriateness at times.

Looking past the very telling sign of our generation’s technological dependence, the phrase “Je Suis Charlie” has become one of the most prominent hashtags in Twitter history. Its circulation through mass media has gained momentum and started discussions about the importance of free speech.

Here’s a list of some of the most popular ads to be released. If you have an original drawing to submit, please feel free to send Her Camus UMich an email with your submission. The winner will be published in a follow-up article! 

Final photo by M. Hulot by Jacques Tati

Robyn Green is a junior majoring in Communications with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She currently serves as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus with aspirations of working in Advertising after graduation.