The Inside Scoop on Love & Men: The Valentine’s Day Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

As the weather gets colder by the minute and we once more find ourselves counting down the days until Spring Break, there is more on a girl’s mind than just her classes and the internship she is just dying to hear back about. No matter how badly we all try to disguise it, with Valentine’s Day just around the corner, we are often thinking about a little more than our course packs.

L.O.V.E The four letters everyone has an opinion about. Whether we are walking across the Diag, standing in line at Starbucks or grocery shopping for the week’s goods, it seems to be in some way, omnipresent. So what has it become in the mind of a girl? Perhaps it’s just something we know exists but never really happens the way it should. We’ve all read quotes like “If you judge people, you have no time to love them” and “There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment”. We watch movies about it, read books about it, Facebook, Instagram, and Tweet about it. Yet we avoid talking about it because it seems cliché, a sort of social faux paux we talk about over a bottle of wine with the girls or over drunken slurs on a Saturday night. While the truth of the matter is, men think about that scary four letter word almost just as much as us. Here are a few personal opinions straight from the guys themselves: 

“It’s a scary thing, but it’s a chance you should take.” –David, Sophomore

“We think about it too. It’s just weird to talk about with our guy friends.” – Jake, Junior

“Love keeps you busy, and working hard.” – Devin, Sophomore

“We’re just as afraid of admitting we’re in love. The difference between a guy falling in love and a girl, is when we’re actually in love we want to spend the rest of our lives with the girl we’re in love with. Guys fall in love a lot less often than girls.” – Mike, Junior

“When you find out you love a girl, it just hits you, and you’re like “Damn, I’ve loved her all along.”” – Ryan, Junior

“Sometimes when we call a break, we really want just that, a break, not a breakup. We still love you and want to be with you, we’re just trying to take a breather. Lots of the time it just means we want to step back and learn to appreciate you again. If it’s a wrap we’ll end up back together.” – Andrew, Junior

“It’s the thing we all want but are afraid to admit or talk about. But when you’ve found it you know you got it, and no matter what, you don’t wanna go back to what you were without it.” – Gabriel, Junior

So, ladies, while we’re embarrassed to talk about it to each other, these great gents chose to bare their souls for a few moments to make us feel a little less “alone” in the “Thinking About L.O.V.E Department.” The next time your favorite song comes on the radio and you are reminded of just how in love you are with the idea of love, remember there are millions of others out there thinking the exact same thing–just in different ways.