Ignorant Misconceptions About Islam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

In the United States and other countries, the majority of the population likes to view the culture and religion of Islam as violent. Unfortunately non-Muslim and Muslim individuals are exposed to this awful stereotype.

I want you all to think about this misconception for one second. Saying, “Islam is a violent religion” is a derogatory stereotypical statement. Many religions, including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and even Atheism all have their own ways of teaching how to resolve conflicts violently and nonviolently. To say that Islam is a violent religion is simply ignorant and comes from a lack of information about Islam. If one is capable of saying Islam is a violent religion then one should take into account their own religion, especially when one is judging on the actions of those who do wrong and claim a specific religion. 

As any practicing religious person, Muslims view his/her religion as a peace that encourages kindness, acceptance, mercy, and forgiveness to those who commit wrongdoings. The stereotype of Islam being a violent religion traces back to the 12th and 13th centuries when scholars portrayed Muslims and the Spanish the same way. Though more recently this notion of a violent Islam comes from the work of ISIS, Al Qaeda, and 9/11. Majority of the population should realize that this stereotype and image of Muslims and Islam is honestly due to the smaller groups of warring “Muslims” who initiate the liberation of “their” religion by the use of violence and terrorism. 

It is wholesomely terrifying that the population doesn’t view Christianity in this same stereotypical mindset. It is hypocritical and unfathomable to argue that those who claimed Christianity started hundreds of battles and initiated the killings of millions are any better than the minority of warring individuals who claim to be Muslim. 

Another ignorant misconception and stereotype against Muslims is that Islam oppresses women. Though this oppression is highly publicized those cases are usually of customs and traditions. The violence of and forcing one against their will is absolutely not permitted or encouraged by Islam. Though many women are oppressed in cases, one should realize that this is not just applicable to Islam, oppression is a global issue. The pervasiveness of abuse against women is not higher among Muslim communities than non-Muslims. 

Instead of going with the “norm” and agree with the views of this time, specifically western views, we should educate ourselves about Islam, Muslims, and the Quran. We should also keep in mind that we, as a society, are trained to think negatively towards one group through manipulation and terrifying stereotypes such as the ones I’ve spoken about above. Remember history and the views on different groups who have also experienced uneducated stereotypes from the majority of the population. Go against the norm, educate yourself, reach beyond your comfort zone, and get to know a practicing Muslim. Stand up against the ignorant views and manipulation of the social norms today. It will benefit you as an individual and the world. 

Images Courtesy of: Giphy and MOST Resource

History of Art major with a double minor in Museum Studies and Native American Studies. Looking forward to my senior year at UM and staying involved in all of my organizations.
Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!