I Have Never Been in Love, and That’s Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I am 21 years old, I have never been in love, and that is OK.

Love is something that is talked about so often, but it is also something that is so foreign to me. Don’t get me wrong, of course I love my friends and family, but that’s not the type of love that I am talking about.

I think that there are expectations of people to just be able to go out and find love like it’s nothing, especially at such a young age. That is not the reality of the matter at hand.

People often say that you cannot be in love with someone else until you learn to love yourself. I used to disagree with this. I WAS under the impression that by loving someone else and being loved back, you would be able to find love within yourself. Now that I have spent some time thinking about that concept, I have come to realize that is a very toxic mindset to be in.

I have come across instances in my life where I think about why I have never fallen in love. I think about why I haven’t found that person for me just yet. The more that I want it, though, the less likely I feel it is going to happen.

We all know that extended family members who ask where your future husband is also aren’t helpful in this situation.

I have often been told that the best things come when you least expect them, and that is exactly how I feel about love. If you go out and search for it, you either are not going to find it or it won’t be as genuine (unless you’re lucky).

Wait for love. Don’t go after it, let it come to you.

Images courtesy of: The Odyssey

I am currently a senior at the University of Michigan majoring in communication studies
Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!