How to Stay Busy During the Summer Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Summer is just around the corner for us students here at the University of Michigan. Like many of you, I am so excited to be heading home for some much-needed rest and relaxation. No studying for exams or writing papers for the next few months. It’s the best. But, let’s be honest, amidst the great rest and relaxation, there can be bouts of boredom. All of a sudden, with the lack of hustle and bustle of being on campus and the routine of classes, we all start to feel a little bit bored. It’s easy to find ourselves twiddling our thumbs as we look for things to do around our hometowns.

In this article, I have compiled a list of things I am planning to do this summer to make the most of my time. From adventuring out to new areas in my hometown to pursuing new hobbies, I will discuss ways to beat the boredom and stay engaged and fulfilled all summer long.

1. Volunteer in Your Community

Discover the joy of giving back to your community through some volunteer work. Spend some time at a local pet shelter or nursing home, helping those most in need of some company. This is a great way to fill a couple of days a week, or maybe just a couple of days a month. Not only will it give you something to do, but it will make someone’s day. 

2. Dive into a Book 

If you’re like me, you might not have much time to read during the school year. Between all my classes and homework, I rarely find myself wanting to read more. But summer is the perfect time to get back into it. Pick up the latest Salley Rooney book or a cult classic true crime novel. The options are endless. (My personal recommendations are: Normal People, Everything I Know About Love, and Brave New World). 

3. Pick Up a New Hobby 

The summer is the best time to try something new. Maybe you’ve been wanting to get into gardening, baking, or hair styling. Well…now is the perfect time! So bust open the laptop and type in YouTube.com. 

4. Travel!!

During the school year, it’s nearly impossible to find time to visit new places. When you do get a break, all you want to do is go home and sleep in your own bed. During the summer, however, you have more free time to check out the latest destination you’ve been wanting to go to. Go visit that friend in California! 

5. Start Up a Fitness Challenge

For the longest time, I have been wanting to get into yoga, but here in my college apartment, there isn’t much room to set up a mat or anything…but…at home, there is plenty of room to set up an area to stretch out and try some poses. Have you been wanting to run a half marathon? Well, now is the perfect time to start training!

Summer is the perfect time to grow, try something new, and connect with yourself and the community around you. I have given you some great ways to beat your summer boredom. Now…go out and have a great few months!

Olivia Vegas

U Mich '26

Olivia Vegas is currently a sophomore at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI. There she is studying communications and media, hoping to work in publishing. Aside from writing, Olivia enjoys watching movies, trying new coffee shops, and traveling.