How To Spot A Basic Michigan Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Now that the winter is in full swing, there are personalities that everyone adopts while out on the streets. There’s the minimalist, with just a thin jacket over a sweatshirt (who probably hails from the North Pole). There’s the full-coat-girl, covered head to toe in a puffy jacket. There’s the bright coat girl, the artsy pea coat guy, the UGGs girl… but most prominent of all is the Basic Michigan Girl. You’ve seen her, you know her, you might even be her. But just in case you need some reminding, here are some ways to spot her.

1.     Look for the patch.

Canada Goose is the armor of the Basic Michigan Girl. Find them in all lengths and colors – ranging from classic black to bright red to white.

2.     Keep an eye out for Sorel and L.L. Bean boots

Gotta keep those feet warm (even over the SmartWool). On a rainy day, find the Hunter boots.

3.     Look at the hands – look for the branded coffee.

Summer, spring, fall or winter, Starbucks and Espresso Royale are staples in the Basic Michigan Girl’s daily life. Extra points if it’s an iced drink. Extra extra points if there’s whipped cream on it.

4.     Find the pompom.

There has to be a practical and efficient way of keeping that Basic head warm, and what better way than to use a beanie with an unnecessary pompom at the top? 

5.  Finally, spot the tiny black dresses waiting for Ubers in the negative degree weather.

When you have so many formals, mixers and date parties to go to, style has to trump comfort. Plus, that’s what Uber’s for anyway.

All jokes aside, the Basic Michigan Girl is an important part of our culture. If you aren’t her, you are friends with her, so share this and treasure her this winter!

Images courtesy of Pinterest.