This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

There’s nothing more exciting than springtime in Ann Arbor. Guess why? It’s the one time a year when we get beautiful weather.. After a dreaded winter, there is nothing more enchanting than forty-degree weather, am I right or what?! But more importantly, it’s time for what we call “formalities.” Start planning now friends because ‘tis the season. The most important thing, of course, is to dress comfortably and in a way that will make you happy. The second most important thing (although you already are) is being the best looking person in the room. Let’s face it, we all want that special someone to notice us. And some people might want to make someone else say: well, you made the wrong choice going with her. Who is she?

But of course, your date wants you to look pretty so here’s some tips that are not required, but might make the search and the conquer a little bit less challenging.

1. Shop on Tobi

Tobi.com is my favorite website and the perfect place for formal dresses for a number of reasons:

1. They keep up with the top fashion trends

2. They are always moderately priced

3. If they aren’t moderately priced, there will be a sale

4. Your first order is 50% off!

2. Choose a flattering color

We all have different hair colors and skin tones. Choosing a dress can be very difficult so try and choose a color that will compliment you. Don’t be afraid to try something bold though, especially if the color will make your eyes pop.

3. When in doubt, try black

In case you’re scared of color, try black. It looks great on everyone!

4. Jewelry

Add some bling, friends. It makes everything look more exciting. If your dress is really complicated then maybe try a simple necklace and pair of earrings.

5. Do NOT purchase a ball gown

When we say formal, we do not actually mean Cinderella-style formal. I know, I miss prom too, but here at Michigan formal is a little more casual. Try labeling your look as “cocktail attire.”

6. ALWAYS shop in advance

If you know what you’re wearing then feel free to ignore this piece of advice. But planning ahead is always a good idea. In case you decide to wear something else, or something gets slowed down in the mail, give yourselves at least a two-week marker to determine your outfit!

Photo courtesy of: sumlogic, res.cloudinary.com, lightinthebox, amazon, kalendar2016.xyz/date-calendar/