How to Register to Vote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

With the election only a little over a month away, it’s an exciting time for college students around the country who are experiencing their first opportunity to vote. This year more than ever, each of our votes are so important in determining the outcome of this historic election. However, it can seem daunting or inconvenient to actually find a way to register. Here are some ways that you can register to vote on campus, either for your home state or Michigan.         

First, it is important to determine whether or not it would be more beneficial to vote for Michigan or for your home state. Since Michigan is a swing state, every vote will make a difference. If you’re from New York, New Jersey, Maryland, California, and many other states, it would probably be more beneficial for you to vote as a Michigan citizen as opposed to a citizen from your home state, because your state is already determined. However, if you’re from Florida, Georgia, or Pennsylvania, for instance, you should still vote for your home state, as it is also a swing state. To figure out whether or not your state is a swing state, check out this map.

Once you’ve determined which state to vote in, the only thing left to do is actually register:

1. In the Diag and around campus, there are usually people who have asked you if you’ve registered to vote. Even though in our busy days it’s easy to brush this off and just walk by, it’s so unbelievable worthwhile to take the 30 seconds and register right there. The volunteers make it so easy and simple, and even though it feels like such a hassle to stop on your way somewhere, you’ll be happy you did it.
  2. To register in Michigan, fill out this form and mail it to any of the addresses listed.
  3. To register for any state (Michigan included), go to this website, pick your state and just fill out the information.

All of these are simply and easy ways to register, and it only takes a few minutes. This year especially, we all have the opportunity and obligation to have a say in who will be our next president. As college students, our votes are extra important, but it is also extra hard for us to actually register, as we’re still navigating the beginning of school, but hopefully these tips will give you the extra push!