How to Navigate Hash Bash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Many know the first weekend of April in Ann Arbor as the famous (or infamous for some) Hash Bash, a pro-weed rally held on the University of Michigan’s central campus each year. This past Saturday marked the 46th annual event, bringing in over 10,000 individuals to campus. While many students enjoy the rally, here are some tips for how to navigate Hash Bash if you’re not interested in partaking in the event.

1. Steer clear of the Diag. If you’re not interested in attending Hash Bash, or having a cloud of smoke surround you, then avoid the Diag at all costs. This is where the main events of the rally occur starting at “high noon,” so be sure to take the long way around campus.
  2. If you want to go out for food that day, order delivery. Restaurants will surely be packed with munchies-craving stoners, so delivery is definitely the move this Saturday. Try GrubHub grubhub.com for an easy way to order!
  3. Avoid driving. Although you might feel the urge to drive away and escape the massive influx of crowds on campus that day, those crowds also bring non-stop traffic to Ann Arbor.
  4. Still celebrate outdoors! Although the Diag might not be your best bet, if the weather is nice you can still celebrate a beautiful spring day outdoors. Head to the arb, go to some darties with your friends, or even just sit and people watch on your porch. Don’t let the crowds ruin a nice day.
  5. Lastly, avoid judgment. Even though you might not be the biggest fan of Hash Bash, avoid negatively judging those who choose to partake in the rally. Everyone has the right and freedom to attend the event if they wish, and you shouldn’t judge those that choose to. 

Images courtesy of: MLive

Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!