Career

How to Land a Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

On top of all the stress we have as students, especially here at Michigan, there is an intense pressure to have an impressive position in the summer. For months, I’ve been hearing on almost a daily basis, “what’re your summer plans?” Unfortunately, applying to internships is an extremely competitive, stressful, and time-consuming process. Here are some tips that I’ve learned in my own applications that I hope will help you!

1.     Narrow your search

There are many search engines that companies use to post available positions – Indeed, LinkedIn, and Idealist are a few popular ones. Other companies only post on their personal career pages. You can speak with an advisor to help you, but decide specifically what kind of companies and internships you might want to work out. For example, I want to work in social service or law, so in addition to looking at the websites I listed, I conducted an internet search for relevant non-profit or service-oriented organizations in NYC. With this method, I can efficiently make a list of potential workplaces.

2.     Update your resume

Too often, people take the resume for granted. When there are so many applicants, each piece of your application must be the best it can. Have someone else trusted to look at it and use their feedback to edit your resume. Make sure there are no typos! Some companies will automatically throw out your application if they find such errors on your submission.

3.     Use a cover letter template

Especially when applying to multiple opportunities, rewriting an entirely new cover letter for each position is a waste of time. Instead, create a template that you can edit and reuse for each application! If you’re unsure of where to start, there are many solid examples posted online that you can use for inspiration. This is your chance to present yourself as the best option for their program, so your presentation is crucial. Most internship postings will contain a list of qualities they want their future intern to have, and these are unique things you can add to each cover letter. Also, make sure you put the correct company in each letter. There’s nothing more disqualifying on an application than writing that you would love to work at…a different place.                      

4.     Use connections

While slightly unfair, networking is essential in today’s day and age. Most people I know who have already secured positions got them through connections. Talk to your peers, mentors, and family members about what you’re trying to do, and see if they know anyone who can help you. I’m currently interviewing with someone I met through a friend of my mom’s best friend.

5.     Keep track of your applications

I recommend making a list before you even start applying to internships. Write down, maybe in an Excel Sheet, all of the positions you find interesting. Include a link to the posting, and information about pay, hours, length, requirements, contact information, application timeline, and anything else you think might prove to be important.

6.     Follow up

This is one place where the previously made list will come in quite handy. Hopefully, you wrote down an email or phone number that was provided. Most postings will list an indication of when you should hear back from them, such as, “rolling applications” or “decisions released in 6-8 weeks”. One of the most annoying parts of this process, though, is that many of these places will just not contact you if they don’t think you’re a good match. When that happens, you’re left waiting to hear back and frantically checking your inbox when it seems like time is running out! Aside from waiting, there’s not much that you can do, but I would recommend following up to restate your interest and the position and confirm their receipt of your application. Again, there are examples listed online if you need inspiration, but this email should be equally as edited and professional as everything else you’ve already submitted.

Start early, be patient and don’t take rejections too hard! Internships are so competitive and most likely, not every company will want you, and that’s okay. Keep applying with an open mind, and you’ll get something you’re happy with. Good luck!