How To Dress Up That Potato Sack Tunic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The revered tunic. Not only the newest fashion trend (courtesy of Peter Pan) combining comfort and ease, but also ideal for keeping me toasty warm, while at the same time conveniently covering up the conservative nine pounds I gained over break. The sudden popularity of these adored tunics make finding one in a store pretty easy; it’s finding one that actually looks good a little more of a challenge. With all the styles and cuts available, it’s easy to be steered wrong and wind up wearing a potato sack to class, but with a few simple tricks, you’ll be looking like Kendall Jenner on a Starbucks run in no time.

1.  Slice it Up

So simple and yet so effective, finding a tunic with slits in the sides or even up the back seam can take your drag shirt to the next level. The slits offer a little playfulness but still keep the look conservative and casual.

H&M $16

2.  Show Some Skin

All those winter layers can be a bit overwhelming, especially in a crowded classroom. Finding a tunic with shoulder cutouts not only offers you built-in vents to keep you cool, calm, and collected, but also provides you with some style, even if it requires literally zero effort.

Free People $70

3. Mix & Match

If you’re looking for a bit of a classier look but the same-old ease of the classic tunic, go for one with multiple fabric types. Usually pairings of cotton and chiffon, these shirts are uber lightweight and just as pretty, making them the perfect choice for a night out.

Urban Outfitters $44

4.  Pretend It’s Summer

If you would rather live in denial of the current frigid weather we are dealing with, then lose the sleeves and give your skin some breathing room! Try going for a tunic with a drooped neckline or no sleeves at all. These tunic-tanks are ideal for layering and are the perfect pallet to be dressed up or down depending on accessories/mood.

Forever 21 $20

Don’t be potato-sack girl for the rest of the semester, follow these tips and even Peter Pan himself, king of the tunics, will be jealous. Happy shopping!!

Julie is a sophomore at the University of Michigan who is currently undecided on her major, and loving it. There is a 95% chance that when she is not showering, taking an exam, or sleeping, you will find her drooling over one of the twelve food acocunts she follows on instagram. Her hobbies include quoting every line from Gilmore Girls, planning her wedding to a professional hockey player, and taste testing all of the Michigan dining hall soups. For even more insight into her very eventful life, follow her on instagram @juliefurton.