How to Deal With Being Sick in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

How to Deal With Being Sick in College

We’ve all been there, and if you haven’t yet, you will be soon…. how to overcome a dreaded flu, cold, or other sort of illness while in college. Luckily, there are some steps you can take to prevent such illnesses, as well as help you overcome many types of flus and colds that you might come in contact with this year.

• Wash yo damn hands: whether you’re a freshman living in the germ-infested dorms, or a senior off campus, washing your hands (frequently) is one of the best ways to prevent being sick. After being in public classrooms and other spaces all day, the last thing you want to do is touch your face, phone, or other personal space before washing your hands. So keep the germs away by staying hygienic. Hand sanitizer also goes a long way here!
  • Do NOT share that communal wine bag: yes, yes, tailgates are amazing, game days are the best night of the week, and free alcohol is a godsend for college students. However, no matter how intriguing that communal wine bag, keg, or handle might be, do not share drinks with strangers. That’s one of the easiest ways to catch something, including the ever-dangerous mono, so be sure to pack your own drinks ahead of time. Plus, this is the safest way to know how much alcohol (and other items, perhaps) is in your drink.
  • Stock up on antibiotics and common cold medicines: the best thing you can do when you’re sick is to fight that illness with medicine. CVS, Walgreens, and Meijer are all stocked up on any medicine you might need, so make sure you have these products before you catch anything, so you can start fighting the sickness as soon as symptoms appear.
  • Make health a priority year-round: overall, the best way to prevent getting sick is to make health a priority of yours year-round. Make sure you’re consistently eating a balanced diet, drinking plenty of water, and exercising often as well. This healthy lifestyle will help keep your body fit and prevent it from becoming vulnerable to many different illnesses.

These are just a few tips for staying healthy in college. Remember that University Health Services and CVS’ Minute Clinic are both great resources for all health and sickness needs.

Images courtesy of: Safety Signs 

Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!