This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I spent my Valentine’s Day watching the new movie, “How to Be Single,” and here’s what I learned:

“How to Be Single” is a great movie for several reasons. First of all, Rebel Wilson is downright hilarious and can bring a smile out of anyone. She made me laugh and cry throughout the whole movie. While humor is valuable, the movie also taught me some important life messages. 

The story follows a bunch of characters, some of whom do not desire a partner, and others who lose theirs. I’m not going to give anything away because it is a “must-see” but I definitely think there is a lot that anyone, especially a single, recently heartbroken college girl (or guy, we don’t discriminate here!) can take away from the story.

1. The Struggle is Real

Transitioning in and out of relationships is difficult.  When you have had someone in your life for so long and then suddenly you’re alone, it might feel strange to lack constant company, a sidekick, a partner in crime, ro someone to listen to you. Listen to me though: time is your friend and you will move on. 

2. Single Life is Always Inevitable

My mom always says there is a Jack for every Jill. In fact, there are multiple people for every person. The beauty of single life is the ability it gives a person to explore other options.

3. But let’s face it, single life is beautiful things. 

Now you can do things for you without having to worry about another person. The truth is, you don’t need a person to make you happy. Relationships are wonderful concepts but when you get involved in them, sometimes you get over-obsessed; you conform to them and lose some of the most important parts of yourself. There are so many things that we have given up in our lives for other people. Things we don’t get to do because we are so worried about attending to another person. This movie emphasizes the importance of enjoying your own time, your own hobbies, and most importantly, pursuing your own passions.  So do it and be a little bit selfish. 

Ladies, gentlmen, single people of all ages: if things aren’t working out romantically at the moment, don’t fret. Enjoy your time, let things unfold naturally and life will work out the way it is supposed to. I learned how to be single, and you can too.

Images courtesy of wikipedia​, kindapicky.wordpress