diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

If you have had a conversation with me in the last month, you know I am very excited that 2016 is (finally) over!

Like many of you, 2016 was a complicated year for me. I struggled to accept the political climate in which we apparently live and spent a lot of time feeling nauseated by the outcome of the election. I also struggled to overcome some more personal losses and attempted to cope with more death than one would hope.

As a non-practicing Jew, I never partake in the Yom Kippur traditions, which focus on repenting, apologizing, and improving. Like many others, I do this at the turn of the New Year. I have set forth a few simple, achievable, and maintainable goals to make 2017 better—or at least more manageable—than 2016 was.

First, I plan to stay organized! Right now, I have a million lists: in my planner, on my computer, on scraps of paper. I hope by consolidating these lists, I can stay on top of my game and devote my time to things other than figuring out what is expected of me.

Second, I plan to cook my food, in bulk, on the weekends. 2016 was full of cereal for dinner and bananas for breakfast. And while both those foods are delicious, they certainly are not filling.

Third, I plan to vacuum. For those of you who do vacuum, or for those that do not own one, this may sound like dumb way to put your life on track. I assure you, it is not. As any curly-haired girl knows, curly hair goes everywhere. Perhaps it’s the lack of hair brushing that I partake in, but my rug is subtly covered in hair. I do nothing about this, and while I cannot see the hair, I know it is there and it always bothers me. Not this year!

Fourth and finally, I plan to use social media less. Namely, I’m deleting my phone’s Facebook App and limiting my Snapchat stories checks to once (maybe twice) a day. I love social media. I love Facebook and have my refined stalking skills. I just last month discovered the explore section of Instagram and—wow, memes are great! Still, there are far more constructive ways to spend my free time. Maybe now I’ll have the motivation to read one of the 25 New Yorker magazines stacked next to my bed.

So forget “New Year, New Me.” That is unrealistic and unnecessary. Instead, I am going to opt into some slightly but conscious changes to improve my life and they way I spent my time, while also thinking about bigger picture things like a being a more supportive friend and better family member.

Images Courtesy of: I Wish You The Same, College Fashion, Images Reviewed, The Midult, and Sick Chirpse