This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The University of Michigan Board of Regents unanimously chose Mark Schlissel as the 14th president for U of M. He will replace Mary Sue Coleman who has been the president since 2002. Schlissel was formerly the provost of Brown, but now will be sporting maize and blue as his colors. During his interview for the position, Schlissel told the Board “You have to love and be amazed by students. You have to love and be amazed by faculty and you have to love and be amazed by research and discovery.” Schlissel told the university that he aims to impact the Michigan community by “Bring[ing] to Michigan a fierce commitment to the importance of public research universities, a strong and personal belief in the ability of education to transform lives, and the understanding that excellence and diversity are inextricably linked.” His words reflection his passion and excitement to be the next president. Schlissel received his undergraduate degree at Princeton University, his masters from Johns Hopkins, and taught and was the dean at UC Berkley.  As said by Andrea Fischer Newman, chair of the Board of Regents, in the university’s announcement, “Mark Schlissel brings an exceptional portfolio of scholarship and leadership, and just as importantly a tremendous commitment to Michigan’s public ethos.  I am confident Mark will lead the university into its next century focused on our deepest ideals of world-class academic excellence and public impact.” Mr. Schlissel will begin July 1, 2014. Welcome to Michigan! Go blue!