This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Fall has two definitions in my mind. Fall means the fall semester, the beginning of school, picking up classes and returning to campus. But, in another sense, it means orange and deep red leaves helplessly twisting in the wind on their descent from a tree, crisp mornings with brilliant blue skies that promise a bright day, and oversized turtleneck sweaters with sleeves you can pull over your hands to wrap around a hot coffee. 

Today was the first day that felt like fall; it was energizing and beautiful. With a change of season comes an opportunity for betterment, both for yourself and others. Appreciating the beauty of this season and allowing myself to process how it affects my mind (my attitude, my motivation) is something to be grateful for. 

I asked my mom what she is grateful for because as much as she has heard me talk about gratitude, I have never had her contribute directly to my writing about it or my projects on it. She said, “I am grateful for the vibrant fall colors and fresh air and blue sky on my morning walk with Penny.” Penny is our 10-year-old golden retriever who likely appreciates the fall atmosphere even more than both my mom and I do. 

My mom’s statement reminded me that sometimes we naturally fall into a moment of appreciation. These natural pauses, at least for me, happen most often when I am appreciating nature. I wouldn’t consider myself someone who is more connected with nature than the average person; I walk outside on my way to class, I love a warm, sunny day as much as anyone else. But I sometimes find myself in awe of how beautiful the natural world is without having to consciously focus on showing appreciation. 

I may be one of those people whose mood is severely affected by weather. A gloomy, rainy day signifies a quiet, sleepy, maybe even sad day for me, which reflects in everything from how I interact with people that day to the kind of music I choose to listen to. A slight chill with blinding sunlight in the morning gives me a different kind of positive energy that is difficult for me to replicate elsewhere. So I agree with my mom for this week: I am grateful for the vibrant fall colors and fresh air. 

Maddie is a student at the University of Michigan studying Communication and Media with a minor in Writing. She is extremely passionate about words, golden retrievers and writing satirical Yelp reviews.
I'm Melanie Stamelman, a junior at the University of Michigan. I am the Campus Correspondent of UMich's chapter of Her Campus and am incredibly passionate about lifestyle journalism.  I follow the news and lifestyle trends, and am a self-proclaimed Whole Foods, spin obsessed wacko.  Thanks for reading xoxo.