Freshman Year is Over… Now What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

After an incredible combination of tailgating, late-night study dates with your best friends, and endless amounts of feta bread, your freshman year at Michigan is over and you’re so excited to have an even better sophomore year. While this may be the typical freshman experience portrayed through social media, freshman year might not be as rewarding for everyone. Some students struggle with making friends, finding a community that properly fits them, and making that challenging transition from high school to college. If this resonates with you more than the previous sentiment, then have no fear; there are still plenty of people to meet, organizations to join, and countless experiences to enjoy here on campus once you’re no longer a freshman.

1. Branch Out – if the clubs or groups you joined on campus as a freshman don’t truly mesh with your interests, then don’t be afraid to branch out and find something that fits you better. There’s no harm in quitting something that you didn’t like, and it allows you to find another activity that you’re much more passionate about.
  2. Stay Eager – one of the best aspects of freshman year is how eager everyone is to make friends, but this response seems to die out a bit as the years go on. However, if you stay eager and continue to feel optimistic about making new connections, then you’ll find it much easier to make friends than shying away from meeting new people. Don’t be afraid to talk to your classmate, or that girl you always see studying in the UGLi, because chances are they are just as eager to make a new friend as you are.
  3. Reconnect with Old Acquaintances – maybe you had a class together freshman year, or maybe you lived in the same dorm but never had the chance to get to know them better. Whatever the situation may be, old acquaintances can easily turn into new friends. Take the chance to reach out to these individuals and get to know them on a more personal level. They might be your soul mate and you never even realized it.
  4. Take on a Leadership Role – whether you’re joining a new organization or sticking with a club from last year, taking on a leadership role on campus opens so many doors to new possibilities. You’ll get to know every club member below you, and you’ll also have many opportunities to get to know other student leaders on campus when you combine with them for your club’s events or outreach programs. Plus it doesn’t hurt your resume!

As a whole, freshman year can be a bit overwhelming, especially when you’re not used to the competitive, collegiate atmosphere. However, with so many people and so many organizations to join on campus, Michigan enables its students to find individuals and groups that fit their interests and benefit students overall.